Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1200 XL Limited impeller?

Love this forum. Had many problems with my 98 Kawasaki that this forum helped me resolve. Now I am on to my '00 Yamaha 1200 XL. Ski runs fine, runs great at the top end end once it starts going. My problems are getting the ski going from a stop. We use this ski to pull our kids on the tube and skis and it doesn't launch out of the water too well. Seems like it is cavitating as the RPMs surge and there is a high whine, but the ski just doesn't seem to be "catching". Playing with the throttle and smoothing the acceleration helps somewhat, but doesn't cure it. Once it gets going (above 12-15 knots), it does fine and responds well to throttle advance. Other than that the ski runs great. Do I need a new impeller? Do I need to adjust the one I have (stock)? Thanks!

+1
    Is everything stock? Check your wear ring clearance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by uskrums View Post
    Love this forum. Had many problems with my 98 Kawasaki that this forum helped me resolve. Now I am on to my '00 Yamaha 1200 XL. Ski runs fine, runs great at the top end end once it starts going. My problems are getting the ski going from a stop. We use this ski to pull our kids on the tube and skis and it doesn't launch out of the water too well. Seems like it is cavitating as the RPMs surge and there is a high whine, but the ski just doesn't seem to be "catching". Playing with the throttle and smoothing the acceleration helps somewhat, but doesn't cure it. Once it gets going (above 12-15 knots), it does fine and responds well to throttle advance. Other than that the ski runs great. Do I need a new impeller? Do I need to adjust the one I have (stock)? Thanks!
    You're right, this is a great forum - lots of help when you need it. I have the same ski, same year. A couple of things that really helped me: Disable the accelerator pump. Just take out the cam that sits on the pump itself. You can find a pictorial description of the process on the cajun dude's website at www.cajundude.com. Next, fill the voids in the pump shoe with the kit from riva or atlantic powersports. My ski felt completely different with the pump shoe voids filled and it's dead simple to do. If you want more punch, you can't go wrong following oside bill's carb and jetting guidelines. There are sticky's in the Yamaha forum project section and how to section with all of the info. I also put in aftermarket flame arrestors. Do not forget to get rid of the catalytic converter, add the D plate and make sure you put in wave eater clips on your powervalves. Hope this helps.

Yikes. I know a lot of people here like to max perform their skiis, but I don't think I am up to the task for a lot of that. Just spent a bunch of time trying to get the jets right on the Kawasaki and that was a pain. I heard the jets on the Yamaha are even harder to access. But the engine runs fine. Doesn't hesitate or bog down like my rebuilt Kawasaki was (had another person rebuild it). Once I tank tested the ski and got the jets right, it runs a lot better. Still tweaking. Cajun Dude has a great site, but I didn't see anything about removing the accelerator pump. What is the purpose of that?

Looking at the pages and elsewhere, maybe a new intake grate...would that help mine holeshot problems? I have also heard of filling the voids of the pump shoe and those pics were great, I didn't really know what people were talking about or how to go about it. Maybe try both these things.

I don't have a feeler gauge, but I will get one to measure the wear ring clearance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by uskrums View Post
    Looking at the pages and elsewhere, maybe a new intake grate...would that help mine holeshot problems? I have also heard of filling the voids of the pump shoe and those pics were great, I didn't really know what people were talking about or how to go about it. Maybe try both these things.

I don't have a feeler gauge, but I will get one to measure the wear ring clearance.
    You're on the right track here for you holeshot/cavitation problems. Check wear ring clearance, fill the pump shoe voids, and maybe a scoop style intake grate.

+1
    If you can fit a knife blade snugly between prop and wear ring, you're ok. Defenitely grate for safety, and a Solas prop will help you get out of the hole a lil quicker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	277336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	277337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	277338

Pictures from the bottom of the ski. I did take off the grate 2 years ago in order to cut free the rope my wife had run over. So I check the gap between the impeller and the edge?

Snow man. I have the same ski and just got my new solas impeller in andi am waiting for my carb parts. Flame arresters and jet kit. What kind of perforce gains did you get. Also when you pull off the pump shoe to Fill the voids did you have to pull the intake grate as well. One more question has anyone tried to fill the voide with expanding foam and trimming off the extra after it drys? If this works it would be a lot cheaper than buying precut rubber pieces.

+1
    Lt, there's actually a resin casting kit for making molds that people have been using.

http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....asting%20Resin

+1
    If you would upgrade the stock impeller for a 12/18 solas, you will not believe the difference in both out of the hole and top end. The best bang for the buck, other than sealing up the pump/shoe. A scoop grate is a must also, to not get thrown off at top speed. To fill the voids in the pump/shoe/grate, they sell a 2 part epoxy kit at Hobby Lobby for about $15 that works perfect. You mix and pour it in all the areas, let sit, and you are done. Much better fit than the kits that have to be cut and filed on to work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information