Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    livin my dream, more please.! ukdude's Avatar

how the hell did that happen??..HELP!!

hey all, hoping for some help as im totally confused.
    sl700dlx 1997. full ignition update kit done. carbs totally stripped/overhauled. fuel lines replaced. full engine rebuild from crank up 128psi in both pots. only thing that aint been done is the pump but that dont need work yet.
    heres the problem...... the back cylinder, its plug stays brand new looking, dont get dirty at all while the front does. put my nose over the cylinder while cranking without the plug in and i smell loads of fuel, plug is getting wet also. maybe too wet?. i get huge sparks on both plugs.
    also, the two black/white wires in the elec box that connect to the coil, if they are swapped with eachother, will the result of swapping them around be swapping the fireing order?..
    any help gratefully recieved,
    thanks in advance..

Banned User
    +1
    Changing the wires around on the 2 cylinder engines wont change anything. Both cylinders fire at the same time.

then im even more confused, as when i change them round the ski sounds as it should. put them back the right way again and it coughs and splutters, feels like the rev limiter has kicked in, even tho it aint got one.lol

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdude View Post
    then im even more confused, as when i change them round the ski sounds as it should. put them back the right way again and it coughs and splutters, feels like the rev limiter has kicked in, even tho it aint got one.lol
    You installed the new update kit ignition coil and new spark plug wires - correct?

If using the new ignition coil and wires, ohm check the ignition coil and plug wires. Flex the wires while watching the ohm meter to see if the wires or end caps have a problem.

Also confirm that there is infinite resistance between the ignition coils (both coils) and ground.

Resistor type spark plugs?

Recheck all the grounds for correct connections and zero ohms to engine block.

Most critical is the black stator wire that runs between electrical box and engine case, and the ground for the CDI itself. And of course the black wires that link various ground screws and terminals inside the electrical box.

Did you remove the thin black wire to battery negative, per update kit instructions?

Note that both spark plugs must be grounded to the engine in order for either plug to fire.

Check for wires pinched between the electrical box case halves or frayed/exposed conductors touching other things.

just checked the ohms on the ht leads, from cap to entry to elec box. front lead was 2.8 back was 2.3 on the 20k scale. never done this before so hope thats the right reading. no change while flexing the leads.

ignition update was fitted at the shop and so far has done only 7 hours.

it has new wires, correct resistor plugs,
    thin black wire has been removed.
    no wires pinched or frayed.

going to get the box open now and check the grounds. back in 20 mins.. thanks for the help. appreciated.

to me this all feels like either the timing is out or the rear jug is being totally over fed with fuel. the carbs were sent to the shop to be done so they should be ok. but you never know

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    . Also confirm that there is infinite resistance between the ignition coils (both coils) and ground.
    is this from the blk/w wires to ground?

checked all the grounds in the box to the engine, infinity on all of them

+1
    is this from the blk/w wires to ground?
    Plug wires to ground and Black/White wires to ground. All should measure open circuit with the two cylinder Gen III updated ignition coil.

+1
    checked all the grounds in the box to the engine, infinity on all of them
    Something is wrong with the Black stator wire. The stator end of that Black wire is supposed to be grounded to the engine through one of the stator mounting bolts.

Perhaps the shop used too much thread locker compound and the bolt is now electrically insulated from the engine case, or something else is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Something is wrong with the Black stator wire. The stator end of that Black wire is supposed to be grounded to the engine through one of the stator mounting bolts.

Perhaps the shop used too much thread locker compound and the bolt is now electrically insulated from the engine case, or something else is wrong.

thanks for that info, i just rebuilt the engine yesterday, got the crank, pistons jugs back etc etc. when i put the stator back in, i done the 3 bolts up that hold the plate, there wasnt any wires in there that i saw for grounding, altho the black wire definately is there, i aint got a clue where its connected to...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information