Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ultra 250 Gas Consumption

A couple of months ago I was injured in a car accident and can no longer take the pounding of the GP1300R. I decided on the Ultra 250 until I read about the gas consumption. Can anyone put Hydrotoys experience in perspective? Perhaps compare gas consumption to the See Doo and/or the GP1300R. Does the supercharger make that much of a difference in the 15f engine? Can I expect a big difference after break in?

“I topped the tank off to the gas cap before dropping in the lake. At 3 engine-hours it was dry. There was tons of slow hours in here, and the time was about 4 hours of real time. Not bad, but certainly a bad sign that this puppy WILL drink gas. Only some good WOT runs followed by a calibrated refill will tell the real story.”

I need to make a decision on a purchase this week. Thanks, Mike

+1
    I need to fill it back up, to see how much it actually used. I couldn't see the tank, and have no idea how empty it was. You can't see much at all, and am at the mercy of the fuel gauge.

+1
    "three engine hours,......tons of slow hours....,4 hours real time"

Those statements have me confused. The hour meter should be recording time as long as the engine is running. I doesn't distinguish between slow hours or fast hours.

Did you mean that you had the ski out on the water for 4 hours, but only had the engine running for 3, a lot of which was at slow speeds ??

The Kawi is not the only ski that no longer records hours in tenths. The SD's with the new gauges (2006+) only show whole hours too. I think those before this recorded the tenths.

Richard

+1
    Engine hours and Trip-clocks always read differently.

I seem to be left with two choices a great deal on and 06 HO or the new 250. I ride long distances with my son and he has an HO. I don’t want to purchase a ski that is always looking for the next fill up. The GP was not very good on gas but I could tolerate that level of consumption or a little worse. I just want to know what to expect if I go to the expense of the 250. Thanks for the feedback. Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    Engine hours and Trip-clocks always read differently.
    Now you have me totally confused Mark. The only thing I can think of on a ski that might be called a "trip clock" is the odometer that registers the distance traveled in miles (not that accurate compared to a GPS) The hour meter on the ski measures the hours the engine has been running. It turns on and off with the ignition key.

????????

Richard

+1

Consumption

it is 18.5 gph at wot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtench View Post
    I seem to be left with two choices a great deal on and 06 HO or the new 250. I ride long distances with my son and he has an HO. I don’t want to purchase a ski that is always looking for the next fill up. The GP was not very good on gas but I could tolerate that level of consumption or a little worse. I just want to know what to expect if I go to the expense of the 250. Thanks for the feedback. Mike
    I had an Ho/160. It went 135 to 145 miles on gps.

Nothing will go that far with a motor that has 160 horsepower and power trim.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrager View Post
    I had an Ho/160. It went 135 to 145 miles on gps.
    Nothing will go that far with a motor that has 160 horsepower and power trim.
    If your Yammi HO 160 hp went 135 to 145 mi on a tankfull, why do you say in your next sentence that nothing with 160 hp and power trim will go that far ? You seem to be contradicting yourself. What does PT have to do with mpg anyway?

Richard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff007 View Post
    it is 18.5 gph at wot.
    That would make it quite the gas hog. The Ultra 150 2 stroke burns 13.34 gallons per hour at WOT (according to the shop manual) right now it appears that the 150 and the 250 are pretty much an even match as far as top speed goes. My Ultra 150 has an average "cruising" range of about 65 miles before it starts to run on fumes. This is in fairly smooth water running mostly mid range with a couple of WOT dashes and with a few idle zones thrown in. If Jeffs specs are correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, the Ultra 250 would be hard pressed to cover 60 miles on a tank full......UNLESS gas milage increases dramaticly over the 2 stroke 150 at cruising speed.

Richard

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information