Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Thoughts on purchase of 99 xl 1200 limited purchase with lost cylinder

Looking for advice on a possible project purchase. 1999 xl 1200 limited with lost cylinder due to oil line. All else reported to be good, 200 hours, indoor stored, not personally verified yet. Owner will part with ski and trailer for 800. Curious if you experts think this might be a worthwhile project. Mechanically I redid a 98 xl 700 last year with good success including crank seals and new top end. Would like to get something with more arm socket dislocation potential but stable enough to take the kiddies on with me. Have not ridden one but was assuming it was similar in feel to the xl 700 which I like with more power and a project that would be similar to the 700 rebuild and not too difficult given the skill set . hoping for thoughts on:
    1. if this may be a good value for the percieved condition for a project ski to rebuild
    2. does this have a reputation as a good ski?
    3. is there a better stable 3 seater that I should be looking for as a project ski?
    I am kind of assuming that I would send the head back to someone like us chrome to be repaired, purchase a new top end kit and look into what may need to be done with the power valves. is this a reasonable assumption also?
    after thought: should I worry about difficulty in removing the piston from the cylinder for those that have experienced this before or potential damage to the camshaft?

Thanks!

Matt

If the ski is in good shape buy it. I have a 2000 xl1200 that I purchased with a bad motor. Pulled motor and sent off for rebuild. Did the regular mods and have been riding worry free all last summer and this one so far. I just ordered an impeller from solas and flame arrestors as well. Can't wait to finish. The ski is very stable and would be good for kids.

Banned User
    +1
    jump on it it the rest of ski is in good shape!

+1
    sounds like a good deal, but it depends on how much you are willing to spend on the motor rebuild. With 200 hours on it, they is potential for the crank being worn out, along with the rings in the other 2 cylinders. But at that price you could spend $2000 on the motor rebuild and still come out ahead.

Banned User
    +1
    You can slap in a sbt for around a grand if just using for rec riding

Thatdude596 did you say SBT?

Banned User
    +1
    Lol hey just giving him another option. Im personally selling a ski since I found out it has an sbt block, rest Oem parts. I want nothing to do with them and their parts. Ski runs like a beast too!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    sounds like a good deal, but it depends on how much you are willing to spend on the motor rebuild. With 200 hours on it, they is potential for the crank being worn out, along with the rings in the other 2 cylinders. But at that price you could spend $2000 on the motor rebuild and still come out ahead.
    Cutlass you were a big help to me on the last rebuild i did last year. Have a host of questions that you guys may be able to help me struggle with for this project:

My understanding is that this is a PV engine. On the assumption that it is just the one cylinder bad would you think about not replacing the pistons/rings in the other two? I was assuming that at 200 hrs all three cylinders should be reworked, new pistons and rings included on all three. Would it be okay to have the cylinders reworked and replace only the rings on the other two? I was assuming with the loss that the piston in the bad cylinder is a given. On that assumption can I run oem/non OEM pistons together?

What is typical life in hrs for a crank, any thoughts? Crank seal replacement in order at that number of hours? can one person get the engine out of the boat for these by hand? and any recommendations on reworking the heads on these. Spoke with the folks at fullboreonline and they suggested I look at some place like US Chrome. Was thinking rebuild kit with Weisco pistons (top end kit). Any good sources to recommend for those?

SBT is nice for a frame of reference but I dont see myself jumping on that bandwagon anytime soon

Banned User
    +1
    Me personally I'd have crank sent out to get check out first. I'd then renick the jugs that need done. Then I'd replace every jug with new piston kits. Go oem gaskets and oem/ prox piston kits. With the cost of rings lone I'd pay a ouch more and throw new pistons on. This is if you want to do it right and one time and plan on keeping the ski.

Check out millenium technologies for renick work

Stay away from forged pistons with nickasil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwinschel View Post
    Cutlass you were a big help to me on the last rebuild i did last year. Have a host of questions that you guys may be able to help me struggle with for this project:

My understanding is that this is a PV engine. On the assumption that it is just the one cylinder bad would you think about not replacing the pistons/rings in the other two? I was assuming that at 200 hrs all three cylinders should be reworked, new pistons and rings included on all three. Would it be okay to have the cylinders reworked and replace only the rings on the other two? I was assuming with the loss that the piston in the bad cylinder is a given. On that assumption can I run oem/non OEM pistons together?

What is typical life in hrs for a crank, any thoughts? Crank seal replacement in order at that number of hours? can one person get the engine out of the boat for these by hand? and any recommendations on reworking the heads on these. Spoke with the folks at fullboreonline and they suggested I look at some place like US Chrome. Was thinking rebuild kit with Weisco pistons (top end kit). Any good sources to recommend for those?

SBT is nice for a frame of reference but I dont see myself jumping on that bandwagon anytime soon
    You'll never really know until you get into the engine, but at 200 hours, you almost have to expect you'll be doing a complete rebuild. Either that or its already had some previous failures and it been redone somewhat or completely. Which means there's a chance it someone put an SBT engine, crank, or topend in it. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I don't wanna scare you away, but I'd suggest asking questions about previous work.
    On the flip side, it could be all original yamaha parts with 200 hours on them and it finally had a failure.
    It is a PV engine, which can add to the expense if things go bad. Nikasel cylinders are pretty tough but if its scored up bad, you'll have to have it re-nik'd. Use cast Pro-x/oem pistons like mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information