+1

2008 STX-15F - Milky Oil

A friend picked up a couple of 2008 STX-15F's from Ohio yesterday. Both had less than 50 hours on them. He checked the oil when he looked at them, took them for a test ride and I advised him to make sure they get up past 60mph on the speedo. He didn't have any problems. He paid for the skis and brought them home. Checking the oil today, one of them had milky oil.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Could the oil have been milky before he rode them, but "settled" so it wasn't noticeable and then got stirred up after he rode them?

If the oil was good before he took them for a test ride, any thoughts on how water got in there?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Warm milky oil ski up a couple of minutes on hose. (Start ski, turn on hose, run 2 min. stop hose, blip throttle blow out water, stop ski)

Then pump the oil out. You should get some where around 4.5 to 5 quarts out. Put in new oil AND an oil filter. Be careful when removing the filter there is a sensor right there in the way. I put a rag down below first to catch filter oil. It is hard to get at but I use special short handle channel locks to take it out, doesn't matter it isn't going back in.

Anyways you can run synthetic oil 50 hours or dino oil also up to 50 hours. Run the ski and check the oil. If the ski is running good and no more milk you should be good. If ski is running good but milk again then you may have a cracked head probably due to thermo shock of some sort.

Report back what happens. This is what I would do but I am not an ace mech. like others here so any one else wanna chime in please do.

+1
    I suggested he do a couple of oil changes but he just sent me some new info:

"I pulled the drain plugs on the air box and got some water, tipped the trailer as high as I could and blew air through got a decent amount more. Hoping someone sprayed the motor (maybe to shine up for sale) and got some water in the air box. Maybe rolled it last time out? Then changed the oil. The inside of that machine show evidence of being wet ( water stains, and and ID sticker is saturated compared to the same sticker on the other machine.)"

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Mike,
    have him keep on eye on it, could be an exhaust manifold issue, but if the skis were freshwater, its less likely than if he had them down here in the saltwater.

+1
    Good news, it is a crack in the exhaust pipe most likely from a poor winterizing. They have it apart and are planning on ordering the new gaskets and hopefully a used exhaust pipe. Part number 18088-3723.

+1
    Good deal.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Doesn't explain water in oil. Unless water left in cooling passages in head also expanded and cracked the head. Keep an eye on it after first ride.
    Not trying to be bearer of bad news and am hopeful that is your only issue. There are others here that may have an opinion that would know better than myself and hopefully one will chime in.

In a cold area like Canada proper winterization and making sure all the water is out of the ski is critical.
    Problem could be solved by moving to SoCal area where we ride all year so no need to winterize...

Crack in the exh pipe and water being found inside the air box might be 2 different problems.

Thread Information