Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1

got stopped at the ramp today..

So I saw what I thought was the conservation police at the lake today, nothing out of the ordinary as they are usually around but they had a couple extra people in blue with them today. they were just hanging out at the dock at the ramp and not bothering people till I pulled up to dock. Apparently my ski says "hey pull me over" all over it so they proceeded to stop me and ask me if I had 5 minutes to answer some questions. He handed me his card and it said he was a FSO from the Coast Guard Auxiliary. No Idea what that means but I went with it. He asked for my registration for the ski. I said that I didnt have it so he proceeded to tell me that its a $200 fine for not having it. He didnt even ask to see if I had anything like a fire extinguisher or whistle ect or even bother to inspect my ski. he said that he wasnt going to write me a ticket but just told me to call him for some odd reason. It was really odd and semi unprofessional the way he was talking to me...kinda like we were old buddies. I didnt realize that you were supposed to carry your registration with you on a ski or boat? has any one else run into this? My first time dealing with the coast guard...

+1
    Most states require you to carry your registration onboard.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    We have the coast guard auxiliary here in Tampa they check us every so often but they don't have no authority to give tickets.

+1
    Auxiliary Coast guard people walk around my marina like they're R. Lee Ermey.

Anytime any LEO asks you "If you have 5 minutes to answer questions", politely decline. No good can come of it.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yea it was strange. I have never run into them before and wasnt sure what I could say or not. I didnt want to piss him off as the conservation officer was standing pretty close to them. What is a LEO?

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342397195.564006.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	277412 = Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342397216.795474.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	277413

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    What is a LEO?
    Law Enforcement Officer

+1
    Not Auxiallary, but the man himself - I've been stopped on my PWC twice by the USCG. They were polite, but direct. Of course, I know what is required by my state so I've never had a problem. Matter O'fact, each time I was given a "Boarding Certificate" and was told, "if I'm ever stopped by the USCG (again) or any other maritime patrol, simply show them the certificate and you'll likely be told to proceed w/o question". And they are good for one year (got one right now good for about 10 more months). If they (are any other LEO is on the water) within a short idling distance, I usually go over and see how they're doing, offer them a bottled water or make them aware of any ass-clown I saw on the water. I'd rather they know my name, face, and ski every time I'm on the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I'd rather they know my name, face, and ski every time I'm on the water.
    Exactly what I try to do.
    I made a joke with one of the Sheriff patrols last year, about if they were going looking for any "partially clothed women" at one of the sand bars and now the Sheriff patrols just wave at me.

+1
    Its always been that way in IL.I have run into this a couple of times BUT i have always been in compliance.I let them inspect my skis as if you pass inspection they usually give you a sticker to put on your boat..That sticker is usually a get out of inspection free card,at least up here it is..Next time just make sure you have a copy of your registration,Registration numbers that are readable,a whistle,fire extinguiser, and a life jacket...if you have all these it really is not a big deal...I laugh when they come up to us cause i know im compliant and think its funny cause they think they are gonna find something wrong with my skis...whats even more funny is when im done and pass their so called inspection,they way their heads turn when i fire the skis up.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information