Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski bogs down when you push full throttle at a stand still

After a month Iím finally in the water. The only thing I noticed is when I am at idle and give it full throttle the ski goes no where, It just makes a bogging noise and sounds like its going to die (maybe flooding). It seems from a stand still I need to burp the throttle once or twice then it will take off like crazy. If I am up to speed or any speed other than a dead stop and hit the throttle its not a problem it takes off, very responsive. It only happens if I try to punch it from a dead stop. Other than that it ran great for an hour. Just bought the ski so donít know the running history. I rebuilt and replaced the fuel line on the carbs, D plate and chip and oil block off kit running 40:1.

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like the carbs are running too rich? Is the ski blowing quite a bit of smoke? What oil are you running?

No it didnít appear to be blowing alot of smoke, no more than the 800. The previous owner gave me a full gallon of yamalube so I used it to premix at 40:1 and put the rest in my XL800 as it doesnít have a block off kit yet so its still oil injection. I checked the plugs when I got home but couldnít tell a lot I just put them in so they only have an hour on them. The tips are still white with very little brown on them. It just seemed odd that its very responsive as long as your are moving but from the dead stop it wont take off at all just bog out.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Check your piston wash. It'll tell ya better if you're rich or lean.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wgmarti View Post
    No it didnít appear to be blowing alot of smoke, no more than the 800. The previous owner gave me a full gallon of yamalube so I used it to premix at 40:1 and put the rest in my XL800 as it doesnít have a block off kit yet so its still oil injection. I checked the plugs when I got home but couldnít tell a lot I just put them in so they only have an hour on them. The tips are still white with very little brown on them. It just seemed odd that its very responsive as long as your are moving but from the dead stop it wont take off at all just bog out.
    Disable the accelerator pump. The engine gets too much gas. Just take the cam off. Works wonders!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman12 View Post
    Disable the accelerator pump. The engine gets too much gas. Just take the cam off. Works wonders!
    The Mikuni 44 "I" carburetors have a very lean spot designed into them in the mid range to help meet EPA standards (3/4 speed is where they were tested for emissions). The accellerator pump was put there to give them an extra squirt of gas to help deal with the lean spot during acceleration or when you put a load on the engine such as in a hard turn. If you still have a stock boat with the stock flame arrestor, it would be unwise to disable the pump.

If you have aftermarket flame arrestors and different jetting, then that is a different story.

It may be lean instead of rich. Try about 1/3-1/2 choke to help pull more fuel in and see if the bottom clears up. Of course with the carbs choked, the top end will suck. If it does run better on the bottom, then you are just running lean on the bottom and will have to open up your pilot screws. It is a simple test that will not cost time or money.

Thanks guys. I wont be able to get out until Saturday to see if this works. i'll fill ya in then. Marty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wgmarti View Post
    Thanks guys. I wont be able to get out until Saturday to see if this works. i'll fill ya in then. Marty
    Bumping a old old post..ever find the problem? I've got the same issue on my 2000 gp1200r. Re jetted to bills recipe

+1
    The issue I think he was experiencing wasn't really an issue. That's what happens when the water box is filled and you punch it, the motor bogs down trying clear the water.

Either get a jet works kit or heat feather the throttle once or twice before punching it.

10. +1 by:

WFO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    The issue I think he was experiencing wasn't really an issue. That's what happens when the water box is filled and you punch it, the motor bogs down trying clear the water.

Either get a jet works kit or heat feather the throttle once or twice before punching it.
    Maybe this is also what I'm mistaken a problem for then. When my ski is running on the hose if I smash the throttle it will bog down and die. Same thing if I run it in water hooked up to my trailer. I smash the throttle and it will die. Did a fresh rebuild and OSB recipe. I'll need to dump this into the water then and see what it does if your saying the bog can be caused from the water box filled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information