Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Raider dies, won't restart

I have a 1994 700 waveraider. I am need help trying to figure what is going on and how to fix.

If the ski has been sitting for more then a few minutes and then you try to restart, it won't start. I have tried opening throttle all the way, I have tried a few pumps on the primer, no luck. You put it back on the trailer and then it starts right up.

It also dies if you are just idling for more then a few minutes. Last time I had to get towed in. The whole time trying to start with and without throttle, priming, no luck. (30 minutes later) at the dock no start, but put it on the traiiler and it starts right up.

Now at start of the day it starts right up and it will run great as long as you are on the throttle and traveling. But if you idle more then 3-5 minutes it dies and won't restart.

I have rebuilt the carbs, new plugs, lowered the pop off pressure (about 45 psi both) and set the low speed screws to 1/4 turn under factory settings hoping its a fuel issue.

The electronics, I ohmed out and all appear good.

Any thoughts would be great on what else to try. Could it still be getting too much fuel at idle and flooding at rest?

Thanks.

+1
    REPLACE the kill switch assy. on the handel bar yamaha updated them to better inside working parts for that very problem !

raider kill switch

Thanks. I was beginning to run out of ideas. Any idea what in the kill switch does that? And should I be looking for a new kill switch or will a used one be good enough?

+1
    There is a check valve on the top of the gas tank, it is a little white round thing. Check and make sure it holds pressure in your tank. If I remember that little thing is like 25 bucks at the dealer. Let us know what you find.

If the check valve is laying over on its side it will be blocked, you must remove the small end of hose and get a 90 degree plastic fitting. try this while the lanyard is under the black button, push down from the top on the lanyard fork ,essentially pulling the black button farther out than normal, dont push real hard ,just enough to raise it out a little more, i had one do that and it turned out to be the lanyard being plastic ,and shoved under that spring loaded button , wore down enough to not pull the button out fully, its worth a try............and those small buttons CAN be bought by its self, you dont have to buy the whole cover and all switches...
    Last edited by BULLRAIDER; 01-31-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks. I will check the check valve this weekend. And I will also try the lanyard trick. I am not sure if its that or not, cause I have tried pulling out the lanyard key and reinserting with no luck. (Plus they are new keys)

What is the best way to check the pressure in the fuel tank, is there a certain psi? Or as long as I hear a hiss is that good enough? I can't imagine the tank would take too much pressure before rupturing.

Actually what you are checking is to make sure the pressure STAYS in the tank and the check valve is not releasing it to the atmosphere, if that happens enough, a vacuum will be created, in the absence of pressure causing a lean or no fuel condition.
    jeep is it firing when you cant get it to start??, BE CAREFULL CHECKING IT FOR FIRE.. if you have aftermarket flame arrestors ,the carbs with vapor, are very close to the spark plug wires, you will here a bang......
    Last edited by BULLRAIDER; 02-01-2007 at 07:14 AM.

I will have to check next time I am out if its getting a spark or not. I don't have aftermarket arrestors yet. I am still trying to get this thing running good in a stock form before modifying!

I will have to get back on the spark issue.

Also let me make sure I know how this check valve works. My manaul shows it allows air from the outside into the fuel tank, but not back out. What I don't understand is what keeps pressure in the tank, is it just the vapor pressure of the gas? MY simple mind thinks that as the engine is pulling fuel, it would create a small vacuum and then the check valve allows air in to neutralize the negative pressure? But what allows pressure to build?
    Last edited by jeeprunnr; 02-02-2007 at 12:09 AM.

The gas vapor does, and sort of helps push the fuel to the pump,.try and check the spark ,I doubt if you are getting spark when that happens.THEN, we can go further checking things....

Makes sense. Thanks. I am not sure its the check valve though because I would think if I primed the engine when it wouldn't start, I would think it would start. All I hear is the starter turning not so much as a chug trying to start.

I still wonder in the back of my mind if it could be flooding the engine due to me having the low speed screw still set too high? But I know everything depends on whether its getting a spark or not.

I will check for the spark and have to get back. I am not sure when though, its supposed to be cold and rainy this weekend...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information