Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Help With 2000 1200 XL LTD Ride/Steering?????

Finished breaking in the new to me ski today as all motor parts are 100% brand new. I have a slight problem, but I sort of got use to. If I am cruising in a straight line the ski is sort of unstable. What I meant by that is if I am going 30 mph the ski feels really top heavy and sways side to side almost. All of a sudden the ski will start leaning to the right and it takes a little steering input or me leaning to the left to correct it. With 2 riders it is sort of a handful with my wife on it. It is not stable at all!!!! Took out the 2004 XL 1200 and it is night and day compared to my 2000 xl 1200 ltd? It is like riding a bull with 2 people on and not as bad with just me. Looks to be stock intake grate/ride plate and everything looked fine. Anybody know what causes this or how to fix it? It is kind of weird feeling. Almost like a teeter-totter swaying side to side?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

+1
    I'm curious too, because I've read people describing that feeling before and now I have also experience it last time I went out on my GP1200. Only thing I recently changed was putting the sponsons all the way down. I've had them down before and I don't remember feeling the teeter totter. I might take a look at the sponson tonite and see if I see anything. and maybe put them back up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I'm curious too, because I've read people describing that feeling before and now I have also experience it last time I went out on my GP1200. Only thing I recently changed was putting the sponsons all the way down. I've had them down before and I don't remember feeling the teeter totter. I might take a look at the sponson tonite and see if I see anything. and maybe put them back up
    Yes I was thinking the same thing in the back of my head now that you mentioned it. Everything on the ski is brand new and built by a Yamaha mechanic I know and there is not but one little dock rash on it with no color fading and less than 100 hours on it. Runs like a #$%^ out of hell!!!!! I was looking at the sponsons and they too looked brand new and the bolts and everything were fresh you could tell. Now that you mentioned that I can almost guarantee the ones on my ski and new and probably not stock or maybe the wrong ones. I need to find a picture of a stock sponsons and compare to mine.

I am telling you it is a handful! It sways and I have to shift my weight side to side to keep it upright with my wife on it. I was wore out after 15 minutes with her out on the water, but not too bad with me only on it.

I am going to do some investigation and find out what a stock sponson is suppose to look like as I have a picture in my head of mine to compare to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    Yes I was thinking the same thing in the back of my head now that you mentioned it. Everything on the ski is brand new and built by a Yamaha mechanic I know and there is not but one little dock rash on it with no color fading and less than 100 hours on it. Runs like a #$%^ out of hell!!!!! I was looking at the sponsons and they too looked brand new and the bolts and everything were fresh you could tell. Now that you mentioned that I can almost guarantee the ones on my ski and new and probably not stock or maybe the wrong ones. I need to find a picture of a stock sponsons and compare to mine.

I am telling you it is a handful! It sways and I have to shift my weight side to side to keep it upright with my wife on it. I was wore out after 15 minutes with her out on the water, but not too bad with me only on it.

I am going to do some investigation and find out what a stock sponson is suppose to look like as I have a picture in my head of mine to compare to.
    Or maybe I have an aftermarket set and need to go back to stock for added stability?

+1
    I should add I had my 3.5 year old daughter on the GP with me, so maybe that had some factor. I think I'll check the ski over tonite, check the weather forcast for tomorrow, and maybe take my ski out again and see if I can come up with something.

+1
    I just went ahead and ordered a set of Worx sponsons. I had to order the R&D ride plate, intake grate, pump seal kit, so I went ahead and added it to the order. The first thing I am going to do is put only the sponsons on and see if that is it for future reference. Figured all of the above would help!!!! Hopefully it will come before the weekend to try out. Ordered everything form Island Racing.

Banned User
    +1
    If I recall I remember reading the GPRS will tend to sway/lean when at a low speed due to the hull design

+1
    I have the 1200 XL Limited. Mine is fine at low speeds as in 10 mph or less, really stable. It is when you start getting 20 to 40 mph it sways to one side and back, like it is top heavy and tipping over. Same on empty tank as full tank. Once I get it up over 40 it is a little more manageable. My wife drives it and she doesn't go real fast and want it to be stable and easy for her to drive. It is much more exagerated once the both of us get on it. It really is a handful. I was wore out after 15 minutes of riding having to shift my weight back and forth to try and to keep it upright with her on it. I think it is the sponsons since the problem becomes worse and worse with the more weight on the back. I pulled both plugs and not a drop of water inside of the hull that could be shifting.

+1
    I have also experienced this with my SUV. It seems that it is laying on one side of the vee bottom. It is quite frustrating. It feels like the passengers are leaning like they are trying to see around your head, but they are not.
    I would like to alleviate this issue. I was looking for threads of people using flatter ride plates.

+1
    Well the R&D and Riva ride plates are flat on the bottom. I can't tell you if that is gonna make a difference, I never rode with the stock one, mine had a R&D when I got it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information