Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Sceetching drive shaft

Just purchased a 2004 GTX Non SC. PO said he got into a ski rope last fall and the shop replaced drive shaft/impeller bearings and wear ring. Took it out on the water and all was fine. Dropped $3200 dollars on it and took it home. Took it out for a ride for an hour and all seemed well, until I went WOT and got the dreaded screech.... Oh oh... This aint good. So I've been in many jet pumps before, but not a 4 tec. I can tell what the PTO side looks like. It appears its oil bath, but the drawings aren't very clear. Does it push straight into the crank or is there a PTO coupling. My nightmare is that the PTO side is stripped. It this side rarely stripped? Perhaps shop just cut out the rope and charged them for the whole lot more.... Surely they wouldn't do that right...../????? May get lucky and only need impeller/ and or drive shaft. What you guys think. Is there a PTO coupler that could have been stripped as well?

Screeching driveshaft

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Just purchased a 2004 GTX Non SC. PO said he got into a ski rope last fall and the shop replaced drive shaft/impeller bearings and wear ring. Took it out on the water and all was fine. Dropped $3200 dollars on it and took it home. Took it out for a ride for an hour and all seemed well, until I went WOT and got the dreaded screech.... Oh oh... This aint good. So I've been in many jet pumps before, but not a 4 tec. I can tell what the PTO side looks like. It appears its oil bath, but the drawings aren't very clear. Does it push straight into the crank or is there a PTO coupling. My nightmare is that the PTO side is stripped. It this side rarely stripped? Perhaps shop just cut out the rope and charged them for the whole lot more.... Surely they wouldn't do that right...../????? May get lucky and only need impeller/ and or drive shaft. What you guys think. Is there a PTO coupler that could have been stripped as well?
    I have same problem. Thought i wrecked something real real bad. Looking for the solution

+1
    There is indeed a pto coupler threaded to the end of the crank. I have never read of an instance where the splines on this end have been stripped, so it can't be that common! Someone will jump in I'm sure if they have heard of this happening. I'd be looking at the other end of the shaft where the splines go into the impeller. Possibly the pump bearing too??

Can you describe the noise a little better? How loud is it?

+1
    Is it possible that it is just hull noise? My x makes some funny noises as it cuts through the water...

+1
    Basically it sounds like a fan belt slipping. Loud. It's not a bearing as the ski comes to an abrupt stop as if someone just hit the brakes. My hopes are that it is at the pump end. Hope to get it off tonight if it doesn't rain. Going to have to research on getting the drive shaft out with all thouse seals and circlips, special tools etc..

+1
    Just start with the simple stuff! Pulling the pump is very easy! JOnly four bolts hold the pump on. You will also have to disconnect the steering linkage, reverse etc but you can have the pump out in 15 minutes. I will bet you either have damage to the shaft or the impeller. Even if you want to check the splines on the PTO side of the driveshaft you will have to pull the pump so this is a necessary step anyway

+1
    Pulled pump. Looks like the impeller and wear ring was replaced. Not sure about the drive shaft. The splines on the drive shaft and solas impeller are stripped out. But the strange part is that it appears the shaft was installed and only 1/2 of the splines of the shaft were riding in the impeller. Like it wasn't all the way pushed into the impeller. Or the impeller was too short or shaft too short. The rubber bumper was install on the the other end and those splines look ok. Maybe the drive shaft was replaced, but it does look worn some. Maybe if I had the length of hte stock shaft I could compare the length. Any of you guys know the length? You guys have any ideas why this was happening?

+1
    Pulled pump. Looks like the impeller and wear ring was replaced. Not sure about the drive shaft. The splines on the drive shaft and solas impeller are stripped out. But the strange part is that it appears the shaft was installed and only 1/2 of the splines of the shaft were riding in the impeller. Like it wasn't all the way pushed into the impeller. Or the impeller was too short or shaft too short. The rubber bumper was install on the the other end and those splines look ok. Maybe the drive shaft was replaced, but it does look worn some. Maybe if I had the length of hte stock shaft I could compare the length. Any of you guys know the length? You guys have any ideas why this was happening?
    It is normal for the splines of the shaft to not fully insert into the prop splines. I too thought this was odd when I first saw it. I had this same thing happen to me when I was using a solas prop, I never found the cause of the failure.. I just replaced the parts and haven't had a problem since. Possibly corrosion build up on the splines has caused the failure?

Also, make sure all your engine mounts are good. If any of them are shot, this could allow the motor to move forward causing the failure.

+1
    79 hours on the ski. I found some threads on the shafts being different lengths. I think someone put too short of a shaft on it. I've see 23 inches and some 23 1/3 inches. Still researching though. Maybe scoot the engine back some. Not sure how much play there is in it though.

+1
    79 hours on the ski. I found some threads on the shafts being different lengths. I think someone put too short of a shaft on it. I've see 23 inches and some 23 1/3 inches. Still researching though. Maybe scoot the engine back some. Not sure how much play there is in it though.
    I just saw the other thread you posted in. Perhaps the length of the splines that you have engaged in the prop is less than what is normal. However it is normal for the splines to not go in all the way. Its hard to tell without pics..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information