Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2004 msx 140

2004 msx 140

a newbee here. is it possible to hook a garden hose up to the ski so it can be running out of water?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Yes, it is possible. Several caveats and limitations involved.

Why do you want to do this?

The ski is giving me trouble and I wanted to bring it into the city and tinker with.
    It started last year after having the motor rebuilt. Bought as a basket case but I new the owner. Reman crank, new pistons and cylinders. It ran good for about 6 hours. Afterwards it ran good cold/first time out then wouldn't start once it was hot and shutoff. Checked fuel pressure at shrader valve and it only had 3psi. Pulled the Ficht fuel pump/assy out and found the pressure regulator had fallen off. I repaired it with the groove/cotter pin method you posted and fired it up. I did not have a chance to run it last year and put it away for the Saskatchewan winter. First time out it was hard to get going (damn fogging oil). Got it running but once it warmed up I could barely keep it going. Seems to run great cold. Oh yea 12psi at the schrader valve. Sorry to be long winded.

+1
    put the kawi one in

Just a suggestion, but check the EMM water circuit to make sure it is not corroded and water freely flows through. Seen people have trouble when this happens.

Why put the Kawi one in it? Whats the difference betweeen that one and the Polaris flush kit?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gomez View Post
    Why put the Kawi one in it? Whats the difference betweeen that one and the Polaris flush kit?
    12 PSI suggests that the fuel pump itself is weak. A good fuel pump with functioning pressure regulator will deliver over 20 PSI at all times when engine is running.

A fallen pressure regulator normally results in near zero fuel pessure, not 12 PSI.

The Kawi one I think is a reference to installing the external Kawasaki pressure regulator. If your fuel pump is indeed weak as I suspect then the external regulator will not fix the problem.

As a test, clamp off the fuel return line between the fuel tank and the schrader valve tee. The measured pressure should jump up to nearly 30 PSI. If the pressure just stays low then the actual fuel pump is probably weak.
    Last edited by K447; 07-18-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks for the clarification

Sorry I forgot to mention that when I had the Pump assy out of the tank I took the fuel pump out and put it in a pail of gas and powered it up. Pressure directly out of the pump was 38psi. The fallen pressure regulator gave me 3psi. After the fix it rose to 12psi. Do you mean to clamp off the return line between the shrader valve and the tank? Anywhere before the shader valve and I wont be able to get a reading, correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grandview2012 View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention that when I had the Pump assy out of the tank I took the fuel pump out and put it in a pail of gas and powered it up. Pressure directly out of the pump was 38psi.

The fallen pressure regulator gave me 3psi. After the fix it rose to 12psi.

Do you mean to clamp off the return line between the shrader valve and the tank?

Anywhere before the shader valve and I wont be able to get a reading, correct?
    Yes, you would clamp the return fuel line between schrader valve and the tank fitting.

Now it sounds like the Internal pressure regulator is either leaking pressure or has weakened. 12 PSI is an odd pressure level if the pump itself can deliver 38PSI.

You can either remove the internal regulator and install an external Kawasaki inline regulator OR figure out why the internal regulator is not creating full pressure.

I would not run both regulators together as the resulting pressure would be higher than OEM spec and fuel return flow rate would be diminished. The return fuel flow is used to cool the injectors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information