Problems removing SL780 Exhaust Pipe3

I picked up an 96 SL780 and I know the exhaust pipe came off a SLX 780 it is black not the standard blue polaris pipe. The issue is what's the trick to remove the the 2 exhaust bolts closet to the haul to remove the pipe. The 2 bolts hit the hull when you try to remove them. I have 94 SL750 and you can easily remove all 4 bolts. The only 2 ways I can think to remove the pipe is to tilt the engine or cut the bolt. The pic of the all blue exhaust is the 94 SL750 which you can easily remove the 4 bolts the other is SL780 with the black pipe and you can see the 2 bolts blocked. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Also do I need to get a blue 780 pipe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-15_21-07-16_288.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	277430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-15_21-06-58_642.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	277429  

Banned User
    +1
    Try a box wrench on them. Otherwise you can bend the hull and get a socket on them.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    all the pipes you have are the same

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Had the same problem with my 96 780SLT.

Just use a 2x4 to pull the hull out a bit. I will admit I hacked about 1/2" off the offending bolts before putting them back in...just sayin.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    did you try lifting both bolts up and sliding the pipe forward? I do remember it being a bitch and probably did pry the hull over

The issue is the one bolt is too long and hits the hull before you can unscrew it all the way so its still in the manifold. A box wrench did work good on getting them loose. I do see that someone must of pryed on the hull before since it is cracked where the pipe is on top where the seat goes. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong here. Why would someone design this this way? The 94 hull leaves like a good 4'-6' from the side and the the engine is basicly the same size. I will try the 2 x 4 and cut the bolt shorter. It the 2 x 4 doesn't work I will just cut the bold off with a cut off wheel.

Thanks

+1
    Once you have them loose use the open end of the box wrench & keep cranking them out even when they are hitting the hull, once the last thread it out you should be able to slide the pipe forward & toward the engine to get them out, also using a piece of wood to slightly 'bend' the upper hull out helps. Then reason they are so tight on the 780 engine, it was designed after the SL hull. Are you removing the pipe for a reason or just loosening it? You will have to remove the exhaust manifold to get the pipe out.

I need to test the starter. I will try to wedge enough to loosen un the bolt. I bought this ski w/95 Seadoo GTX 657 and trailer for $800. I guy told me the stator was bad and it was since the gound wire looked like it arced some where since the wire was pretty much shot and coroded so it was exposed to the elements for awhile. The starter relay just clicks, checked the wires, grounds, battery, and bendix. The ski had the front off of it for like 6 months to a year so who knows on the starter. The MFD seems good since that comes on and tells me I have no gas since the tank is empty.

+1
    An easier way to test the starter is open the electrical box to find the larger wire that goes to the starter, disconnect it & touch it to the + side of the battery, make sure there is a good ground going to the engine & most important that there are no gas fumes around! Those starters are a big pain to remove.

no fumes since the gas tank has been dry for a long time.

Thread Information