baldymgb

96 slx 780 carb tunning and octane question

Hi hoping to find a little clarification on setting carbs, all stock,, after redoing piston ,stator crank indexing , rebuilding carbs , fuel pump and lines, leakdown tests ,, are you able to fine tune the carbs ( low and high speed jets ) with the sparkarresters off, ??? and is it best to use 87or 89 octane fuel with ethonol or should you run 91 with no ethnol ??? and last question I installed 80 gram springs but only get 18 lbs for a pop off could that be a problem ??? please hope some one can shed some light on this thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Your Flame arrestors aren't going to restrict air flow enough to matter. So yes, fine tune without them.

Use only 89 octane or higher with ethanol, but any fuel without it is preferred. So if you have a choice, the 91 octane without would be my choice.

`Spec calls for 20-24 psi pop off, I would think 18 may cause an issue if you're going with manual specs.

baldymgb
    thanks for the info ,, and the pop off springs i ordered from polaris and took it for granted they were the correct ones darn never checked specks, till i wrote the post , so i am wondering would the 95 gram springs bring up the pop off to 20 or 24 ,, you aren t suppose to strech the 80 gram springs are you ( as in the water I get a big bog right off idle ) which should be the pop off ) i am thinking

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldymgb View Post
    thanks for the info ,, and the pop off springs i ordered from polaris and took it for granted they were the correct ones darn never checked specks, till i wrote the post , so i am wondering would the 95 gram springs bring up the pop off to 20 or 24 ,, you aren t suppose to strech the 80 gram springs are you ( as in the water I get a big bog right off idle ) which should be the pop off ) i am thinking
    Get the 95 grams. Stretching springs is not a good idea.

baldymgb
    sounds good thanks again,, you ever change the springs with the carbs still on ,, I am not sure if it is possible .

baldymgb

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldymgb View Post
    sounds good thanks again,, you ever change the springs with the carbs still on ,, I am not sure if it is possible .
    Yep, not easy, but doable.

Sometimes I think it is easier to remove the carbs VS. trying to change parts still installed. (place a towel under the carbs if you try it inside the ski) That should help catch falling parts.

Thread Information