Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best scom?

Best scom?

Best to go with riva or r&d? Which install is most user friendly?never wrenched on a ski but it seems my 300x just does not have much room to work! Also which scom powers on key ignition only? Thanks in advance all!

I installed R&D speed-up module today and it was very easy.... After that I took it to the lake and ran for about 30 minutes with high RPMs.... so far so good.

+1
    The Riva one will drain your battery after long periods of non-use.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Is the Aussie one the only one that runs in "pass-through" below the maximum speed?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Is the Aussie one the only one that runs in "pass-through" below the maximum speed?
    Yes

+1
    What do you mean by that Mal or Tommy?

+1
    The "original" Riva SCOM was connected directly to the battery... The "updated" version of the Riva SCOM now connects to a fused & switched power source. The issue of "draining your battery after long periods of non-use" no longer exists. I have my original Riva SCOM connected to the same place the R&D SCOM connects (Diagnostic Port). If I were buying a SCOM today, I would buy the R&D SCOM. It is just is easier to install. The instruction manuals are available on both company's website.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy71 View Post
    What do you mean by that Mal or Tommy?
    When you're doing a speed below the maximum (108kph for us Jim) the Aussie SCOM sends the correct speed to the ECU. I had heard RIVA or R&D just sends a single "speed", regardless of the actual speed, to the ECU. There is some suggestion that this isn't good (if the mapping relies on a "correct" speed). I didn't know if it was just RIVA or R&D, but looks like it's both.

There have been some suggestion that the Aussie SCOM is safer because of the "speed pass-through"

Who knows though. I'm still sitting on the fence that the speed is a critical input that if it's not correct it can damage the engine. I'd love if the could be formally confirmed by Kawasaki though. I'd hate for my paddle-wheel to get damaged and risk the whole engine.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    When you're doing a speed below the maximum (108kph for us Jim) the Aussie SCOM sends the correct speed to the ECU. I had heard RIVA or R&D just sends a single "speed", regardless of the actual speed, to the ECU. There is some suggestion that this isn't good (if the mapping relies on a "correct" speed). I didn't know if it was just RIVA or R&D, but looks like it's both.

There have been some suggestion that the Aussie SCOM is safer because of the "speed pass-through"

Who knows though. I'm still sitting on the fence that the speed is a critical input that if it's not correct it can damage the engine. I'd love if the could be formally confirmed by Kawasaki though. I'd hate for my paddle-wheel to get damaged and risk the whole engine.
    Correct MAl it's just that pass through does not affect ecu until over 65-66 mph. There has been allot of info recently in this area and I highly suggest that people ether don't run a scom for every day use or run a pass through Aussie scom. As well as don't run any plate that messes with the paddle wheel or run a gps unit to correct that. Some people have criticized me saying I don't want people to go fast bla bla I'm just trying to keep people from munching there motors until it's fully understood. Yes there have been some motors out there that are living and others that are not at all. Without saying to much I will say they all have one thing in common and all have failed in the same I'm mean exactly the same way. There's much to be understood about the system. Just realize if you go the route of the scom you may destroy your motor and void your warranty.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Correct MAl it's just that pass through does not affect ecu until over 65-66 mph. There has been allot of info recently in this area and I highly suggest that people ether don't run a scom for every day use or run a pass through Aussie scom. As well as don't run any plate that messes with the paddle wheel or run a gps unit to correct that. Some people have criticized me saying I don't want people to go fast bla bla I'm just trying to keep people from munching there motors until it's fully understood. Yes there have been some motors out there that are living and others that are not at all. Without saying to much I will say they all have one thing in common and all have failed in the same I'm mean exactly the same way. There's much to be understood about the system. Just realize if you go the route of the scom you may destroy your motor and void your warranty.
    Is there a retail source for the aussie Scom? If so, I will steer inquiries in that direction considering this design difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information