Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to test a regulator in 2003 Freedom (battery charging problems)

I had my battery die on me after some riding. I changed out the battery but just to confirm I tested the charging circuit by starting my jetski and having the multimeter on the battery terminals. Sadly, the voltage was 12.5V and not the approximate 14.5 volts I expected. I tested the stator AC output and it was 18-20Vac and higher as I reved the engine indicating a healthy stator (tested between the yellow and red/purple wire, as well as yellow and back wire). So I believe it is the rectifier part # 4010648. This is a fairly expensive part so I want to make sure it is the rectifier and not something else and possibly still the stator.

Any idea's on what else I can check? How can I confirm it is in fact the regulator?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I do not have the Freedom wiring diagram handy, so this is from memory.

First check that the LR module(s) inside your electrical box is properly grounded.
    Make sure the regulator is properly connected to Red/Purple and Yellow stator connections.

Does everything else work? Bilge pump runs when engine is running?

Fuel gauge works?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I do not have the Freedom wiring diagram handy, so this is from memory.

First check that the LR module(s) inside your electrical box is properly grounded.
    Make sure the regulator is properly connected to Red/Purple and Yellow stator connections.

Does everything else work? Bilge pump runs when engine is running?

Fuel gauge works?
    Thanks for the response K447. I think I read like a hundred of your post; you're like a Polaris PWC genius and bible all in one!!! lol

The fuel guage works and the bilge pump works manually but I will have to get the ski out of the garage to test it while running and let you know. On different note, seeing how you are from my area (GTA), where do you get your Polaris parts? The closest dealer for me is Tri-city which is an hour drive. Also, where do you recommend buying an AGM battery?

Just confirmed that the bilge pump is running when the engine is running. And it appears that the regulator is properly rounded.

Well I guess I am shelling out the $189.99 plus tax and waiting 5 days to get the regulator. Hopefully I am right and it is in fact toast because I rather change the regulator than the stator.

+1
    I would need to check the wiring diagram but I suspect that a basic LR voltage regulator (LR-31 for example) from one of the older models could be fitted into the Freedom. I just don't have time right now to dig into it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I would need to check the wiring diagram but I suspect that a basic LR voltage regulator (LR-31 for example) from one of the older models could be fitted into the Freedom. I just don't have time right now to dig into it for you.
    Quoting you from another forum post:

"LR voltage regulator and Start/Stop modules

Note: On Virage and Genesis models with a combined Start/Stop button (same button is used for starting and stopping the engine), there is less substitution flexibility with the LR-50x modules (LR-502, LR-503, LR-505).

The combined Start/Stop modules have several functions packaged into the module. Voltage regulation, Start/Stop control, and often other functions. The connectors also vary between versions."

Once I get the used one I will take it apart and see if I can fix it and have it as a spare.

+1
    These modules are sealed in potting compound, so hard to repair.

I was not thinking of replacing the Start/Stop module with the basic LR, but adding the basic LR to the system. Essentially the three core LR voltage regulator wires (Yellow, Black, Red/Purple) would get connected in parallel with the existing Start/Stop module.

Since the only function that appears to have failed in your main Start/Stop module is the voltage regulator, this 'trick' might work in your case.

I have not yet sat down with the Freedom wiring diagram to verify, but I think it might work

I did not want to sit out another weekend waiting for a regulator so I ordered one with expedited shipping (it hurt the wallet big time). I hope to install it along with a tachometer tomorrow. This would be so much easier and cheaper if Polaris simply used a stand alone rectifier.

I give up!!! After replacing the regulator I still don't get 14.5V on the battery. Now I don't even get any voltage between the red/purple or yellow stator wire (well I get some but not the 20Vac plus I expect). Does anyone recommend a shop that will get me running quick in the Greater Toronto Area? It now looks like a potentially bad stator and I don't want to be pulling the flywheel off and buying another? What's the chances of getting a bad new regulator?

I am so frustrated and going to miss another sunny weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information