Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2011 VXS runs rough/missing at idle (non throttle) only, "spiky rpm's"

Good day all,
    My ski has only 22 hrs and is a 2011 VXS, since day one while not using the throttle (through canals/no wake zones) the engine seems to be spiky and pitchy (rpm gauge will fluctuate). It seems to not like to be at no wake/slow speed? it is just annoying to hear this brand new skis engine "missing". This does not happen while running the ski out of water during flushing (only in water under load) and the ski runs great during throttle use while playing. I brought it to my dealer after a few hours use and they said there was nothing wrong but they did not put it in the water. I am bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be please?

Quote Originally Posted by tgarris View Post
    Good day all,
    My ski has only 22 hrs and is a 2011 VXS, since day one while not using the throttle (through canals/no wake zones) the engine seems to be spiky and pitchy (rpm gauge will fluctuate). It seems to not like to be at no wake/slow speed? it is just annoying to hear this brand new skis engine "missing". This does not happen while running the ski out of water during flushing (only in water under load) and the ski runs great during throttle use while playing. I brought it to my dealer after a few hours use and they said there was nothing wrong but they did not put it in the water. I am bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be please?
    I'm having the exact same problem. I have an 2012 FXHO, which is the same engine as your VXS. Since new, when the water it feels like it's going to stall and runs rough. The idle is not smooth and bounce up and down with the rpm's. The dealer changed the plugs, but same result. Runs great at full rpm.

+1
    What if you give it just a little throttle on your own, does it smooth out? Like hold it at 1300 RPM with the throttle?

+1
    Mine runs ruff at idle and a buddy of mine has a 2012 it's the same way only at idle

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    What if you give it just a little throttle on your own, does it smooth out? Like hold it at 1300 RPM with the throttle?
    Yes when given a little throttle it smooths out but that also creates a small wake and I do not want to both piss off people in the lagoon while their boats are docked and it would exhaust my fingers aye. There must be something wrong as it does not make sense that it runs like that. I have a friend that has newer Yamaha's with different engines and his run smooth.

Thank you for the reply

+1
    I have aftermarket tachs on my 2012 VXS skis and mine seem to idle smoothly. It fluctuates between 1240 and 1320 RPM.

+1
    remember, these NA 1.8L motors have huge cams in them, alot of racers use the NA cams in there supercharged race ski's its like camming a small import motor, its going to idle with some lump in it, mines even worse with the added cam timming

+1
    This is normal for a High Comp motor with Hi Lift cams....

9. +1 by:

Both my VXS do the same thing at idle. I figure it's the cam they use in these engines combined with high compression pistons. I've got Mother Thumper cams in my mustang and it doesn't really like run at low rpms either but ohhh how I love to listen to a properly cammed V8 idle. It's music to my ears.

I have not noticed that on my VXR, I'm at 21 hours. I will try to pay attention to that next time I'm out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information