Yamaha 1100 Triple bogs at higher speeds

I have a 1997 Yamaha WaveVenture 1100 triple that I am having some problems with, originally the ski was having performance issues in the top end. I ran a compression check and I get 120, 120, and 110 psi. After rebuilding the carbs and replacing needles and seats the ski runs great in the water and will accelerate quick, once it gets going faster the ski will bog and stay around mid range rpm. If I pull the choke about half out the ski then kicks in and goes fast no problem. If I'm going fast and I push the choke back in the ski will drop back to mid range rpms. I've already bypassed the fuel selector switch and gone straight to the RES on the tank and still the same thing, any suggestions?

+1
    Sounds like it is starving for fuel. What did you set the high screws at? Also, what brand of rebuild kits did you use?

I needed to pull the choke on my ski after I rebuilt the carbs on a hard acceleration. I found out the hard way that the generic windersosa kits do not work. After rebuilding the carbs again with genuine Mikuni kits, the ski ran 100%.

I used genuine mikuni, as far as the high screws, one was set to 1 and 1/4, the other was set to 3/4, and the last one I couldn't move with a screwdriver. I set both of the ones I could to 3/4 to try to enrich the mixture.

+1
    Though it may not be causing this issue, the frozen high screw may cause trouble down the road when you need to make adjustments.

Did you replace with the same size needle and seat?

Things to check:
    1. Verify that the fuel filter and check valve are ok. None of the fuel lines should be pinched or collapsed.

2. Make sure you clean out the carbs good. I typically remove all the parts and then place the carb in a can of chemdip. Let it sit in there for awhile and then rinse it off. Blow all the passages and body out with compressed air. It should be dry when you put it back together.

3. The carb to intake gaskets need to make a good seal. Replace the gaskets if they look suspect.

+1
    Maybe the fuel pump is going bad and can't keep up with the high RPM demand. Using the choke might be helping pull a little more fuel through the system. According to what I've read about these pumps, rebuilding them isn't always successful and replacing them is a better option if it is going bad.

Thread Information