Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

just bought a SL900

New member here introducing myself. Also new to the pwc world.

Just picked up a 1996 SL900 with 123 hours. Looks really clean and has about 150psi on all 3 cylinders.

Previous owner installed a automotive flush T into the hose going from rail ontop of engine back to rear portion of exhaust. Is this a proper set up for running it on the garden hose?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	277451

I greased the driveshaft zerk, and was going to put some sea foam in the fuel and also check to see if it has the grey tempo fuel lines prior to my first ride. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk. See my sig links for what to do. As for the tee, it wont do much unless the thermostat is removed. Water will just pour out the back and never go thru the engine.

3. +1 by:

Very good and informative write up. It appears my ski passes all the tests/checks mentioned. Im going to find the torque specs on all the engine bolts and check them as well.

Any oppinion on using the sea foam in the fuel for my first tank?
    How about where to re-locate the flush T for running it on the hose?

+1
    Im not a fan of sea-foam ever, but that is a personal opinion with not much factual backing.

I would remove the T and not use it. It has no value, and if the cap comes off you will sink your ski in short order.

There is a plug on the water rail on the heads that can be removed and replaced with a flush kit. You can make the flush kit with fittings from your local home supply store if you wish. There are a few write-ups on here.

Thanks. It looks like ill either make one myself or purchase the one from Atlantis.

Well I checked the fuel lines and they appear to be changed to a black fuel hose except for the ones going between the carbs. They are grey, but have a black inside liner. So I'm thinking they are ok.

Also am i asking for trouble taking this thing out with out pulling carbs and cleaning or rebuilding them? Old owner gave me extra plugs that were ran, and they looked pretty good.

Also is it normal for these things to take a little bit to fire up after the fuel switch has been turned on from being off?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseville View Post
    Thanks. It looks like ill either make one myself or purchase the one from Atlantis.

Well I checked the fuel lines and they appear to be changed to a black fuel hose except for the ones going between the carbs. They are grey, but have a black inside liner. So I'm thinking they are ok.

Also am i asking for trouble taking this thing out with out pulling carbs and cleaning or rebuilding them? Old owner gave me extra plugs that were ran, and they looked pretty good.

Also is it normal for these things to take a little bit to fire up after the fuel switch has been turned on from being off?
    The gray lines between carbs are different and do not need to be replaced.
    It should not take long to fire if the carbs and fuel pump are in good shape. Im not a fan of plug chops for and indicator of engine condition. I would look up "Piston Wash".

If the wash pattern is good then run it. If its lean, dont take the chance.

very hard to see piston wash looking into spark plug hole. Are the head gaskets re-usable? If so i'll just pop them off and get a good look.

Got the ski out on the water this past weekend. Ran Great!

I did check piston wash with a automotive "video scope", and it looked like the PTO was a tad lean, and the other 2 were RICH.

Ski ran good, no bogging, and averaged between 48 - 52 MPH and had a max of 56 on the MFD. I do not remember what the RPM was.

It does seem to crank a long time on the first cold start up, then hot re-starts are instant. Also did notice a few inches of water in the hull. It looks like the siphon hose with the screen was pretty plugged up, so i cleaned that out and cleaned the hull floor itself. I need to check if the bildge is actually running as well.

couple other questions: what is the easiest way to adjust these carbs to clean up the piston wash?

Is the rear drain plug for the hull at the right rear the only drain on this thing?

That long plastic tube connected to the seat, is there a purpose for this? It just seems to interfere with the hoses when you clip it down.

+1
    all good questions....I'm a new sl900 owner myself....had to do a ton of work to the trailer and now I'm working on the battery....good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information