Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What expenses to consider before having a boat (Yamaha AR240)?

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about buying a new or nearly new Yamaha jet boat, probably AR240 or a little smaller one... I wonder how much do you pay per month on insurance, indoor storage or other related expenses.

One more question... Do you the Toyota Tundra V8 can safely tow the Yamaha AR240?

Thank you in advance for all input. Vincent

+1
    The Yamaha jet boat will suck up much more gas then let's say a comparable inboard/outboard. Go to a place where you would keep your boat and ask for a quote. Personally I leave mine on the side of my house, but I'm looking into putting it in storage now as it really is to nice of a boat to be not inside during the winter. On the other hand it still looks brand new. I'm guessing insurance will be around 400$ per year, but again your probably best to get an insurance quote. Your Tundra will do fine towing the boat. I've towed 25' trophy's (fishing boat) with my 08' GMC sierra 1500 5.3. I'm now towing my boat with a 2008 Ford F-250 and I will say it's a huge improvement.

+1
    The biggest expense in owning a boat is depreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    The Yamaha jet boat will suck up much more gas then let's say a comparable inboard/outboard. Go to a place where you would keep your boat and ask for a quote. Personally I leave mine on the side of my house, but I'm looking into putting it in storage now as it really is to nice of a boat to be not inside during the winter. On the other hand it still looks brand new. I'm guessing insurance will be around 400$ per year, but again your probably best to get an insurance quote. Your Tundra will do fine towing the boat. I've towed 25' trophy's (fishing boat) with my 08' GMC sierra 1500 5.3. I'm now towing my boat with a 2008 Ford F-250 and I will say it's a huge improvement.
    Regarding Fuel Consumption… I'm thinking of moving up from a Waverunner to an SX or AR240. My dealer tells me that the Jetboat compared to a similar size bow rider with conventional inboard/outboard uses less fuel. So is the dealer wrong???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Regarding Fuel Consumption… I'm thinking of moving up from a Waverunner to an SX or AR240. My dealer tells me that the Jetboat compared to a similar size bow rider with conventional inboard/outboard uses less fuel. So is the dealer wrong???
    I just read an article recently comparing jet boat with outboard and inboard/outboard versions, all very similar hulls.

The outboard configuration was the winner in terms of fuel efficiency, sound levels.

The jet drive was poorest in noise and fuel consumption.

Here is the article
    Boat Engine Comparison: Outboard vs Sterndrive vs Jet Drive

On paper, the outboard power system is a clear winner. In this comparison, the Glastron GTS 180 with a Mercury 150 has the lightest weight, the best fuel economy, the quietest cockpit, and performance that matches or exceeds those of the sterndrive and jet.

But the outboard loses big points for looks and the “livability” of its stern area.

The jet [powered by the 250 hp version of the 1.5-liter, three-cylinder Rotax 4TEC engine] is the least expensive, accelerates fastest, is easy to operate and has a clever lounging area, but it’s thirsty and noisier.

In this comparison, we think styling is really the only reason to choose the sterndrive-powered boat. We say, “Wise up, America!” and buy the outboard.
    At cruising speed the outboard manages 5.0 mpg, 25 percent better than the sterndrive and 52 percent better than the jet.

We don’t have a good explanation for this beyond the fact that the sterndrive boat weighs 600 pounds more than the outboard, and the jet drive system is less efficient than the outboard’s propeller.

Also, while the jet’s appendage drag is less, since no gear case is being dragged through the water, this may result in increased wetted surface of the hull, since it offers no ability to trim the boat.

+1
    The boats are really pretty good on fuel. Especially if you're gonna do tow sports, as they have a ton of torque. We had a boat at our Shelbyville gathering (contact me for info for this years...) that pulled 4 skiiers. The comparison was a supercharged rotax. All the supercharched engines are HORRID on gas, even Yamaha's new 192 series single engines!
    The twin mr-1 engines in my boat do scream, and I have invested probably $50 into soundproofing. The newer boats use the 1.8l engine which is much more torque and quiet. Excellent motors, very awesome boats. You won't be dissapointed.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedling View Post
    The boats are really pretty good on fuel. Especially if you're gonna do tow sports, as they have a ton of torque.

We had a boat at our Shelbyville gathering (contact me for info for this years...) that pulled 4 skiers. The comparison was a supercharged rotax. All the supercharged engines are HORRID on gas, even Yamaha's new 192 series single engines!

The twin mr-1 engines in my boat do scream, and I have invested probably $50 into soundproofing.

The newer boats use the 1.8l engine which is much more torque and quiet. Excellent motors, very awesome boats. You won't be disappointed.
    Which year and model is your boat?

What do you consider 'pretty good' regarding fuel consumption?

+1
    A friend of mine has the 242 limited S with the twin 1.8 liter engines. I have to say, its very good on fuel consumption. Not sure exactly how many hours we put on it last summer but we did use it quite a bit and filled up just a few times. I'd say we put 5-10 hours on it per week for a 2 month period and I can only recall filling the tank 3 or 4 times. As for noise, I'll admit the thing is loud as hell when even when cruising.

+1
    I don't know what the numbers actually are, but I know I went from Starved rock, IL down to Peoria, IL on the river and still had almost a half tank. I was a little better than most, but still, no one used more than 3/4 tank unless they were going full throttle, which... ok, a lot of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedling View Post
    The boats are really pretty good on fuel. Especially if you're gonna do tow sports, as they have a ton of torque. We had a boat at our Shelbyville gathering (contact me for info for this years...) that pulled 4 skiiers. The comparison was a supercharged rotax. All the supercharched engines are HORRID on gas, even Yamaha's new 192 series single engines!
    The twin mr-1 engines in my boat do scream, and I have invested probably $50 into soundproofing. The newer boats use the 1.8l engine which is much more torque and quiet. Excellent motors, very awesome boats. You won't be dissapointed.
    I just picked up a 2012 AR240 and was really interested on what you did for sound proofing and how well it worked.

Thanks!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information