Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question NEW TO ME 1997 gp1200, 1st time out issues

I recently picked up a 97 gp1200 and finally joined the forum. Tonight I plan on checking it over and getting a shopping list together. The ski has just under 100hrs and starts great. I had it out the first time yesterday and under wot it would bogg down and fall on its face, it did the same thing starting at half throttle and rolling to wot. Half throttle and under it ran great, it just didnt have the balls to rev over 6k even on the trailer it struggled. When I got it home I noticed an inch or so of water in the hull, dunno if related or not, I forgot to pull the plugs upon trailering. (im not too worried as our old yamaha ls2000 did the same thing.) I also pulled the spark plugs and they were black and wet, so im thinking an over rich situation. Also I noticed someone has been in this motor before, being the bolts were marked. Im thinking I need to adjust the carb hi and low back to stock if it isn't there. I'm bringing home my compression tester to see where the cylinders are at as well. Im trying to avoid rebuilding the carbs or pulling the head until the end of the season. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I'll post my findings.

on a side note the speedometer as inaccurate as they are doesnt register above 3mph, and just bounces around 0-3. Any ideas?

SHOPPING LIST FOR LATER
    oil pump block off plate
    flame arrestors
    mikuni rebuild kits
    mikuni jet kits
    floormats/hydro turf

id just readjust the carbs if your not going to rebuild them yet.

check all your cooling lines to make sure theyre not leaking

i think your max rpms is only like 6800

I checked compression and it was 120 on all three. I'm gonna go run it after work this week and see what it does. Btw it is impossible to back up an empty single trailer behind a long be crew cab dually.

+1
    My plugs are always black and wet and my ski runs perfectly fine, so that's not necessarily gonna point you in the right direction. If the ski isn't running correctly at WOT then STOP riding at WOT. WOT is when most lean meltdowns happen, so avoid any or prolonged WOT runs until you get it straightened out. If you can't get it to run correctly with screw adjustments, then dig into the carbs and see if you find something.

Quote Originally Posted by cbubac View Post
    I checked compression and it was 120 on all three. I'm gonna go run it after work this week and see what it does. Btw it is impossible to back up an empty single trailer behind a long be crew cab dually.
    its even hard for me in my ram 1500. i have to put the tail gate down to see a little

Agreed with Cutlass. Be careful at WOT. I don't know if waverunner guys do "plug chops" but that is an exact way to read a plug on 2 stroke.

You just want to be on the rich side of bogging...not leaning out!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubspeed View Post
    Agreed with Cutlass. Be careful at WOT. I don't know if waverunner guys do "plug chops" but that is an exact way to read a plug on 2 stroke.

You just want to be on the rich side of bogging...not leaning out!
    Yes to plug chops.

Also I have new black hydro turf mats for the GP. PM me if you are interested.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbubac View Post
    Dont't feel bad, you're not alone on the backing up. By the time you see it come around in your mirrors, it is almost too late. I've seen guys put something on the back of their trailer as a reference point - pvc pipe or a flag or something similar.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Thats how i back up. Pretty much by guessing. When it pops in my mirrors i know to turn the other way. If i get to outa wack i pull forward a bit until i think the trailer is centered on the ramp and then attempt to drive it straight back. Course now we got my wifes car it has a backup camera it has helped a lot. Something to consider since im sure its hard to back that thing up even without a trailer.

+1
    I can't see my trailer unless I fold down my tailgate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information