Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I think I want a sea doo, but a few questions...

Hi all,

I currently own a Kawasaki stx1100di and I'm looking to buy a new ski. I've looked at about a zillion skis at our lake, and the new sea doo gti/wake models have really got my attention. Here's my big hang up- coming from a big fuel injected 2stroke, how much 4 stroke power am I gonna need to make me happy? My stx is pretty stock aside from a ride plate mod, Solas concord impeller and some wsm moly-coated pistons. The guy I was chatting up about his gti155 was loving it, but understandably wasnt real interested in handing over the keys for a test ride. Out on the water playing around, either he was being kind or the big stx was walking away from him everywhere from hole shot to top end. I don't want to buy something crazy powerful (and crazy thirsty) but don't want to buy a new ski then wish I would have bought more. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle01 View Post
    Hi all,

I currently own a Kawasaki stx1100di and I'm looking to buy a new ski. I've looked at about a zillion skis at our lake, and the new sea doo gti/wake models have really got my attention. Here's my big hang up- coming from a big fuel injected 2stroke, how much 4 stroke power am I gonna need to make me happy? My stx is pretty stock aside from a ride plate mod, Solas concord impeller and some wsm moly-coated pistons. The guy I was chatting up about his gti155 was loving it, but understandably wasnt real interested in handing over the keys for a test ride. Out on the water playing around, either he was being kind or the big stx was walking away from him everywhere from hole shot to top end. I don't want to buy something crazy powerful (and crazy thirsty) but don't want to buy a new ski then wish I would have bought more. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Have you considered a GTR215? Based off the GTI hull, with a supercharged 4 stroke 215hp rotax. Incredibly comfortable to ride, adjustable trim, few different ride modes (eco/fuel saver mode, touring, and sport) and handles like it's on rails. I bought one not too long ago and love it. It rides like a Cadillac on the water when you cruise, and pulls hard when you want to get down.

What drew me to the gti were the aggressive looks and blacked-out treatment. I've been told the supercharged skis are really thirsty- again, I don't have anything much to go on besides the ski I have. I need to figure in the cost of 2t oil at $30/gallon. Our lake (chain of lakes) is about 12miles end to end with a lot of no wake zones in there. I know my 2t ski doesn't live idling through the channels- I assume the 4t's are way better at this. Not to mention cruise control!

im trying do decided between the gti & gtr myself my main concern is how thirsty the sc gtr would be aswell.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Depends on how you ride it.
    The GTR will consume a little fuel in 'eco' mode - and straight suck it down when you stay hammered on the throttle; you can, theoretically, burn off a full fuel load in an hour.

Here is a vid of my first ride on my GTR:

+1
    well, if you look at fuel consumption, cruising around the S/C ski seems to be more economic...

think about it this way, while youll be going 5K rpm and 35 mph for example, while the SC ski will go the same speed at afew rpm less (say 4500 for example)

what ive learned from this site is that the S/C doesnt "do" anything before 6K rpm, only then does it create enough pressure to get you going...

the 130, in a way is economic because it revs at ~6K rpm
    the 155, is less economic, as it revs ~7200 rpm
    the 215 and +, rev at 8K rpm...

just by the rpm, you will know that the engine turns more, and faster, consuming more fuel...

yesterday i took a ride for an hour roughly, 90% of the time my friend on his 130, my father on his 155, were riding at WOT.
    while i was playing around with the throttle.

all three started with a full tank of gas, (filled from gas cans, so the level of fuel was almost the same on every ski)
    when we came back, we went to the gas station, the 130 and 155 both got 22 and 23L respectively.
    i ended up only needing 19L of gas. and that is for fact that i have a somewhat worn impeller and wear ring, making me less efficient.
    the other we friend we had join in midway, has a yellow rxt, ended up using 25L, he did 80% of the trip that we did, but was constantly going WOT to show off, and they were 2 on the ski (him and his wife, id say both weigh 350 pounds or so.
    and we each weigh ~ 240 pounds on the 130, 155, and me on the 215.

sorry for the long post,
    but one last thing, we could say that someone with a newer ski than me, and didnt carry many things, could have gotten a slightly better fuel consumption.
    but i would consider the results to be 1-2L at most.

P.S. both the 130 and 155 were in sport mode.

Sounds like something in the 215 range would be plenty for you. Lot's of power and still the ability to be economical when in ECO mode.

+1
    I agree, I think a GTR 215 would be perfect for you.

+1 and the gtr keeps you in the smaller hull. It's sad to say 10' is small these days.

+1 for the gtr215
    nearly have 20 hrs up on mine and just love it
    if you are worried about fuel get a kayak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information