Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 Polaris SL 750 isues

So I have finally stopper lurking and joined the forums! I have recently started using my 95 Polaris SL 750 after a few year absence on the water. The ski has about 125 hours on it and I have had it since new and treated it very well. I put a new battery, fresh gas and it was running like brand new. About 56MPH on the MFD @ 6500 all weekend. A little background into my ski, I did the updated Polaris air cleaner/ oil injection kit, DG water box, extended pump & ride plate with a nujet destroyer prop. Here comes the problem.

I put the ski in the water today and it was hard starting. When I got it started it ran about 900RPM and when I got on it was hard to plane. MFD after I got it going was about 34MPH. I took it home, pulled it out and checked the cylinders. All had spark and about 115PSI compression. I pulled the air cleaner off and saw that when I started it saw that only the two back carbs were spraying. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the #1 and got it going. I went for a ride and it shut down a few times in rough water but in the flats ran its typical 55MPH @ 6500 on the MFD. On the way back it began to run rough and idle about 900 again. When I pulled it out and flushed it it was running in the high 1800RPM on ground.

Should I assume the carbs need rebuild? It has the original single fuel pump, but like I said I updated that carb setup and have never had a problem. Im basic mechanically inclined, but I have never toyed with the carbs. I spoke to a mechanic and he said it would be upward of $500 to rebuild them all. I dont know if its worth it for a ski thats maybe worth about $1500 max.

Thoughts Guru's?

Thanks

KTCClick image for larger version. 

Name:	zpfile000.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	277490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zpfile002.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	277491

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome!

The carbs need a rebuild - The ski is almost 18 years old. And yes, spend the $30 for a upgraded fuel pump. This stuff is easy to do yourself. Check my signature links for additional info if you need.

I believe the carbs were rebuilt about 5 years ago. Would the fuel pump be a starting point and go from there? Ill do a search, but I assume there is a place on the site that sells the fuel pump & kits?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk keith.

Looks like everything is bone stock. Fuel hoses, in-line filters, petcock, etc....

Those will need to be addressed.

Might want to consider rebuilding the carbs even after 5 years, the ethanol in todays fuel will cause some issue to rubber parts.

Have you checked your piston wash? Changing the FA, the waterbox, and a different impeller will affect your carb settings from stock.

All that work was done by the shop I bought it from back in the day. It really was running great over the weekend. Unfortunately here on long island there aren't many enthusiast mechanics who want to touch the ski. The one I spoke to today had no clue about te fuel pump upgrade I was talking about. He told me he could rebuild the carbs & set them to factory setting. I would probably leave them the way they are set now

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about taking the carbs off & doing myself. Small block Chevy yes w a quadrajet yes. Fuji w mukuni triple. Ugh.

Ha Ha. Really not that bad. Other than the back pain from bending over the boat for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith the Cop View Post
    All that work was done by the shop I bought it from back in the day. It really was running great over the weekend. Unfortunately here on long island there aren't many enthusiast mechanics who want to touch the ski. The one I spoke to today had no clue about te fuel pump upgrade I was talking about. He told me he could rebuild the carbs & set them to factory setting. I would probably leave them the way they are set now

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about taking the carbs off & doing myself. Small block Chevy yes w a quadrajet yes. Fuji w mukuni triple. Ugh.

+1

Your mechanics are HERE. I've seen a large handful of "dealer fixes" and laughed my a** off. Once you rebuild the carbs yourself, you'll be thinking, "Really...that was it??" Two years ago I didn't own a single one of these toys, now I've rebuilt more carbs than I can remember. Considering that you obviously know how to turn a wrench, you'll be fine. Click on the links in the signatures above. Good stuff there.

O&A Party Rock...based on your user name, I'm taking a wild guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Superd2K View Post
    Your mechanics are HERE. I've seen a large handful of "dealer fixes" and laughed my a** off. Once you rebuild the carbs yourself, you'll be thinking, "Really...that was it??" Two years ago I didn't own a single one of these toys, now I've rebuilt more carbs than I can remember. Considering that you obviously know how to turn a wrench, you'll be fine. Click on the links in the signatures above. Good stuff there.

O&A Party Rock...based on your user name, I'm taking a wild guess.
    Boise ID! I'm in twin falls.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I believe the carbs were rebuilt about 5 years ago. Would the fuel pump be a starting point and go from there? Ill do a search, but I assume there is a place on the site that sells the fuel pump & kits?
    Welcome to the Hulk

John Zigler (now also Watcon) sells the specific kits for Polaris watercraft carburetor rebuilds.

Lots more info via my signature links.

Ill order up the carb kits & fuel pump. Til then ill just hold tight and troll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information