Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1998 Seadoo XP LTD Cooling system Diagram help?

I bought a used XP LTD. Its over heating. Trying to Check water flow. The print i have from manual is so wrong from what i have. When using garden hose.(long pipe on back.) Water goes to the bottom of Exhaust Chamber. In picture it goes to the top of the engine. If the print is right then why does it say that long pipe goes to the top of the engine and then says it is the (Engine water return?). The arrows i added is the way water moves thru the system with water on hose. (long Pipe) engine Running. Also at the Regulator valve why does water push thru on both sides of the regulater? Is that Right. Look at arrows.
    THE SUPER BIG QUESTION. Where does the water come in from the lake water. How and where does water enter the system from the Pump? I dont see it. Where can it be blocked at?
    Please help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	31206 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	277493  

The garden hose flushs the system in reverse...

And if your water flows in the direction you indicate while on the hose - somebody reversed the cooling lines at the pump - they do this to provide better cooling to the head..

So you dont think with it hooked up this way would make it overheat? It goes garden hose to pipe bottom of pipe then to head. My thing is does the regulator get water to both sides of the valve? Water comes out both the litttle hoses and the exhaust would push up water into the valve too? how could this valve move? If i have water coming from the hose to exhaust, exhaust to head, Head to the pipe, Water comes out pipe. Why would it over heat.

the regulator is fed from the top nipple on the head pipe.. the regulator then feeds the injection nipple in the side of the pipe just below the top nipple.. Somebody also added an injection nipple on the lower pipe cone by the coupler - this would need to be t"ed into the injection nipple or plugged..

Is this a stock pipe??

And what makes you think it is overheating - warning beeper??

The water intake while running is from inside the jetpump - if you look up into the pump you will see 3 or 4 holes drilled into the rib at the top of the venturi

the water supply to the regulator comes from the upper pipe nipple - this water is dumped into the muffler out the bottom of the regulator.. The regulator controls the amount of water and rate at which it is allowed to flow through the injection nipple (number stamped on fitting) and into the hot exhaust gas stream - at no point should you be getting pressurized water coming out the injection nipple or lower nipple for that matter.. As that nipple is not in the exhaust pipe cooling jacket but rather passes through it and into the hot exhaust gas stream..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 21chip View Post
    I bought a used XP LTD. Its over heating. Trying to Check water flow. The print i have from manual is so wrong from what i have. When using garden hose.(long pipe on back.) Water goes to the bottom of Exhaust Chamber. In picture it goes to the top of the engine. If the print is right then why does it say that long pipe goes to the top of the engine and then says it is the (Engine water return?). The arrows i added is the way water moves thru the system with water on hose. (long Pipe) engine Running. Also at the Regulator valve why does water push thru on both sides of the regulater? Is that Right. Look at arrows.
    THE SUPER BIG QUESTION. Where does the water come in from the lake water. How and where does water enter the system from the Pump? I dont see it. Where can it be blocked at?

Please help.
    No wonder your confused with all this misinformation !
    The 1998 xpl Manual cooling layout is incorrect and is a known issue. The 1998 xpl parts Manual has the correct layout and I have taken this picture below from it.

The main cooling line goes directly to the head and the Water box regulator is fed from this main line from a "T" fitting next to the fuel tank at the top under the seat.
    The regulator then feeds water to the brass fitting above the centre pipe Bolt mount this goes into the pipe where the exhaust is and cools the couplers and waterbox.
    Water is fed into the head from the main line from the jet pump down into the motor up through the exhaust manifold into the pipe and exits at the bottom brass fitting of the pipe and out the rear of the pump.When you flush your engine on the hose (reverse flushing)this is where the water is sent from back in to the pipe and into your engine out your head fitting back into the pump.
    The cylinder drain line always flows in one direction. OUT.
    And the two pissers 1) the brass fitting at the top of the pipe (marked 7)and the other fitting (marked join together into a plastic "Y" piece (marked 14) and out the side of the ski on the left.
    This is the standard set up on a xpl since 1998 to 2004 carbs or DI which has a case cooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img082.jpg 
Views:	6433 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	277558  

I will agree with this lay out SurfNTurf. I think this is how it all laid out. I looked at a 2002 Manual and it looks a lot like what i have too. That Kyhy sent.
    Im getting water to all of the places with the hose. Just not getting cool in the lake. I can blow air into both large back tubes and i here the air exit the rear. what in the world is making it heat up. Is there a test i can do at the lake to test the water system? Im going out in to the heat to test your print to my setup.
    Thanks for your help Guys. Man this is getting crazy. This should be an easy fix.

Ok SURFnTURF You have the winner. That is the way it is set up. When i run water with hose first i get water to the underside of exhaust. and if i take off hose at engine i get water coming out of the top block. Then water runs to rear muffler. Question should water at regulator come out on both two hoses? The regulator has arrows on it going to different directions. In and out why would i get a flow of water out of both hoses? Iv read that the regulator could make you ski over heat.

Quote Originally Posted by 21chip View Post
    Question should water at regulator come out on both two hoses? The regulator has arrows on it going to different directions. In and out why would i get a flow of water out of both hoses? Iv read that the regulator could make you ski over heat.
    No - you should not have water coming out the injection nipple.... That nipple should pass through the water jacket and inject water into the hot exhaust gases..

Do you have another plug right next to that nipple??

Not sure what nipple you mean. I have one on top expansion chamber and one on the inside expansion chamber.
    Well today i whent to the lake. This time with Temp gun. started it and ran at dock for a while temp where fine. Went for a blast across lake. 600 yards or so.
    Cylinder heads 110F, Expansion chamber uper 145F, Lower expansion 240, Pipe that ran from expansion to muffler 312F, Cooking Rubber hose that seal the pipes. Smoking. Muffler was at 140F. Outside weather temp was about 97F. What i did was remove mane water line that goes to bottom of Expansion Chamber Ran motor in the lake. I Got water running out of bottom nipple of expansion. Hooked it back up. Then took off Main water line off at top of head. Water ran out the Black hose when engine was running. So why was center pipe so hot. I thought maybe there was a mouse nest in pipe or something, removed muffler stuck coat hanger down pipe and nothing. Same for muffler. Run it for a second with muffler off. Its clean. I checked plugs looked Dark Brown. Good. Water must not be going down the center pipe. But how can it not be? Its hot as hell. I know water in running into head like a garden hose. and its cool.
    HELP

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information