Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Toying with the idea of a Virage...

I'm looking for a cheap, fun 3-seater. I would consider a broken one for a winter project. Talk me into/out of it please

PS My previous ski was a 2005 Kawi STX-15F. I didn't ride it enough to warrant keeping it. I also worried about the cost to repair, should something serious go bad with it. Too many valves/camshafts etc

+1
    I see, thanks for all the input

How about a Seadoo GTI SE RFI instead

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    I see, thanks for all the input

LOL, I feel your pain, responses do not seem to come the way they did at one time here.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Just not enough hours in the day to read, let alone respond, to every thread! Just saw your thread now.

The Virage is an excellent hull and everyone who has one likes the combination of stability, even when sitting still, with the playful responsiveness and reasonably light overall weight.

Large fuel tank and reasonable fuel consumption means you can ride for a long time. Fuel injected engines are even better on fuel and same power as carburetor models (Polaris made both carb and fuel injection Virages, two and three cylinder versions), plus reliable starting and smooth throttle response.

The Virage really can carry three people but as with all 3 seater watercraft it is happier with two people. If you want to carry up to four people the even larger Genesis uses the same 1200 engines as the Virage.

+1

It suddenly dawned on me that a Genesis might be just the ticket. I always felt my 15f was too small for three up. I'm thinking that won't be the case with the Genesis . Anybody got one they'd like to sell? (I'm in upstate NY).

+1
    I saw one or maybe it was a pair of Genesis skis on Craigslist I think in Buffalo. If I find it again I'll post it for ya. What about an older polaris 3-seater? Say an SLT 750, 780 or an SLTH? If you could get a pair of 3-seater skis that could work out well for ya. It's always more fun to ride with a buddy which is why I suggested possibly looking for a pair of skis. Plus if you break down you have someone to help out/tow you back in.

+1
    +1 on having a second watercraft as a buddy system.

We always ride with two machines so I know I have a ride back even if one of the machines has a catastrophic failure or even sinks.

Two Genesis will fit on a trailer, just need a big enough trailer

Actually, the Genesis is only slightly wider than the Virage hull and maybe a foot longer.

+1
    I'd love to have two skis, but I only have room at our place for one boat and one ski (on a lift). And I still can't get my wife to get her boating certificate (required in NY to drive a jetski)...and my kid won't turn 14 until 2014.

Thanks for the replies, I'd love to hear more opinions about the Genesis. I think I should stay away from the DI versions, unless there is an "underground" way for me to troubleshoot the DI system when it craps out...(and from what I know the Ficht system is widely regarded as an unreliable POS regardless of where it was used).

+1
    Ask your wife who will drive the boat or watercraft if you are injured or otherwise unable to drive it back?

Not knowing how to do stuff is a liability. Being female is not an excuse. Each of you is backup for the other.

Same goes for loading the trailer, checking the equipment, etc. A second set of eyes is not as useful unless they know what they are looking for. And the best way to know is to be able to do it herself.

There is no aspect of watercrafting that either of us cannot do. She can hook up the trailer at the house and do a full equipment check of boats, gear and trailer before heading to the ramp. At the ramp she can fully prepare for launching including checking drain plugs and engine operation, then put the trailer in the water, get the machines off the trailer and properly docked. Park the trailer, secure the vehicle.

Same at end of ride, she can do the whole reloading process. In fact at one of the gatherings I got talking to people after riding when somebody commented 'Hey, she just loaded the trailer and pulled your skis out by herself!' Yep.

+1

Does she offer lessons? :0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information