Thread: first ahi!

first ahi!

summer is here and that means one thing for fishermen in hawaii and that is AHI!!! (yellowfin tuna)
    met my partner at the harbor at 530 and the place is a madhouse just loaded with boats because
    the bite has been really good. we slide in the water at about 600-630 and our plan was to head south
    on the 500 fathom line and then out to the 1000 fathom to make our way back. got to the 500 and set
    out our lures, after about an hour i see some big splashes in the distance. as i got closer i was
    amazed at what i saw it was big yellow sickles breaking the surface. a school of ahi were feeding, so
    i made a b line straight for them. as i approached they all went down, not more than a minute later
    my penn 80 just started SCREAMING! so i cleared my other line and the fight was on. after a back and
    forth battle for and hour finally got it up to the surface and sunk the gaff in her. secured her on the
    sled and made my way back to the harbor. got her weighed and she came in at 160lbs even.
    aloha maka!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ahi 2012.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	277496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ahiscale.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	277501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ahi.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	277500  

St. Amant, LA
    Wow and Congrats. Alert Starkist... LOL

Thread Information