Question Slight hesitation until warmed up- 2002 TXI

Hello all,
    I just got a 2002 Virage TXI. It has 85 hours on it, and in great shape. It is my first jetski and Im having alot of fun on it.

Anyways, when I bought it last week it was running great and the person just replaced the oil pump and something at the end of the throttle body because it was idling high.

It started right up and I run it for about 2 hours on and off and then put it away for the night, and what I would ranl as a flawless performance.

The next night I gently cleaned the inside of the hull which had some grime in it using a little dawn and tap water, and rinsed on the lowest setting on my garden hose head.

I also put in some Polaris pre mix in, it was a brand new bottle but it was not what was in it before.

The following night I took it out to ride and noticed it to act a little different. I started it up and let it idle for a little then slowly started on the throttle, however i noticed that as i was holding at a certain rpm, it would randomly dip a little and come back to where it was. The dipping noise almost sounds like the motor when you are hitting choppy water.

However, odd enough, after I run for a little and give it some solid throttle, this problem disappears. I am running middle grade pump gas and the polaris pre mix.

I did not think that I got water into areas where i was not suppose when cleaning because a) i tried to avoid that and b) I used very little water pressure.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the premix, because the first night I ran it i did not notice the smoke from the exhaust, but after i added the polaris stuff it seems to have a minimal amount of white smoke that rises when the exhaust bobs out of the water.

Please give me a recomendation! Thank you so much!

Banned User
    +1
    I hope you didnt mix oil in the gas on that ski....... The TXI is a fuel injected machine and won't tolerate oil in the gas. Get that oil out of the gas tank and hopefully it will run ok for you....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What do you mean by 'pre-mix'?

Are you just adding Polaris 2-stroke oil to the oil tank, per the manual?

Oil goes in oil tank, gasoline goes in fuel tank. No mixing of the two.

It is normal for the exhaust to include some steam as water is used to cool the exhaust system. Other than the steam the exhaust should not be smoking. The fuel injected engines normally run quite clean, exhaust wise.

Sorry I did mix up my terms. I used the polaris two stroke oil into the oil tank only. I did NOT mix gasoline with the mix. Any possible solutions? I used some marine fuel stabilizer as well in the recent tank, but that was after i noticed the change. Thanks for the reponses, I hope some one comes up with a possible idea. Again, it runs great after it is warmed up an ran for a little.

+1
    Sounds like the TPS was changed recently, so I will assume it is OK.

My first guess was that water has gotten into an electrical connection somewhere, or something got disturbed during the cleaning. Check for moisture inside the spark plug caps and ignition coil caps.

Unplug and inspect the TPS connection at the rear of the throttle body. It must be clean, dry and NOT have any dielectric grease in the connections.

Look for any electrical connectors that may not be 100% sealed watertight. You can unplug connectors and allow them to air dry. Just keep track of what plugs into what

You will find a special dielectric grease on the connector seals. This is used to lubricate the connector seals and maintain a water barrier.

The dielectric grease does not need to be on the actual metal pins. In fact, excess grease on the contacts can interfere with the proper metal to metal connections.

On the other hand, your comment about the engine sounding like it does when the impeller comes out of the water would make me want to pull the jet pump and inspect the drive line. A slipping rubber bonded coupler or stripped drive splines would allow the engine to spin up more than normal.

Or perhaps the bearings in the jet pump stator are starting to fail and are binding. It is straightforward to remove and inspect the jet pump. Details on how to do so can be found via my signature links.
    Last edited by K447; 07-19-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Electrical and misplaced water is my guess too but I have no idea where to start.

I was reading your (K447's) fuel pressure article and I am curious that something along those symptoms because, a) it is rough in the mids (around 3-4 K rpm) and b) there is a slight surge of power. For instance, if I hold the throttle as steady as possible, it will run that rpm then randomly spike in rpms and accelerate. It is not a huge jump by any means, but it is not normal. Maybe this surge is the best way to describe the symptom as compared to "the noise of the engine as the ski moves through choppy water" as I stated earlier.

Again, this is during the warm up period of the jetski, so my question is does the fuel pressure change after being warmed up compared to the start up pressure?

Another lead comes from one of your reponses to an article and may confirm your electrical theory as mentioned above. It takes a few times to start sometimes, but the first night it did not (prior to my cleaning). And sometimes as mentioned in that article, it will crank and run no problem, but when the start/stop button is released, it will kill the engine until i get a successful start.

The man who created the article suggested that others told him it was fuel pressure, but it seems you diagnosed it as the latter. After seeing the two possible theories side by side, it seems like it could be the electrical.

Again this is a 2002 Virage TXI, if a TPS is a throttle positioning sensor, it was replaced just before my purchase, but I am unaware if it was professionally installed.

Thank you very much for your help by the way!
    Last edited by K447; 07-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tabadman View Post
    ... It takes a few times to start sometimes, but the first night it did not (prior to my cleaning). And sometimes as mentioned in that article, it will crank and run no problem, but when the start/stop button is released, it will kill the engine until i get a successful start.

Inspect the start solenoid. If it is the original black body with metal backing plate, consider replacing it. The original black+metal solenoids are known to fail and can do so suddenly.

The updated design solenoids also have an integral suppression diode that is specifically intended to correct the problem symtom you describe. Engine starts but then quits as soon as Start button is released.

A new solenoid will not correct the engine surge while running, but it is still worth doing for reliability reasons.

Note: If the battery is ever connected backwards and the Start button is pressed that will instantly kill the internal diode in the solenoid. After correcting the reversed battery polarity, you must still replace the now damaged solenoid.

Thread Information