Limp home mode question

When I was last driving fast and with water spraying out of the bad carbon seal/bellow the engine stalled and went into limp home mode. I read up on it and I think the EGTS (exhaust gas temp sensor) got wet and caused this to happen. I checked the ecu for codes and got none. Does this sound like a fair prognosis? Has anyone else have this happen?
    Does anyone sell a stainless steel drive shaft for a GTX?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXuser View Post
    When I was last driving fast and with water spraying out of the bad carbon seal/bellow the engine stalled and went into limp home mode. I read up on it and I think the EGTS (exhaust gas temp sensor) got wet and caused this to happen. I checked the ecu for codes and got none. Does this sound like a fair prognosis? Has anyone else have this happen?
    Does anyone sell a stainless steel drive shaft for a GTX?
    your diagnosis is flawed..limp mode is always accompanied by a major error code..how are ou reading the codes?

a carbon seal failure will titanac a 4-tec in a few minutes ( unless you are one of the guys with an electric bilge pump)

and why oh wh are you looking to replace the drive shaft?..taht's a pricey bit. you have other things to fix first

get teh hull dried out..get the carbon seal/hat/ring and all parts inbetween in line and then we can talk.

Be aware that late at night..stuff seems far funnier then it really is ( check any of my pre- 7am PST posts for the New Mexico version.

if you need help..it helps to provide the model/year of the ski you are having trouble with.

3. +1 by:

HMM, well here is the story. I was leaking water and driving fast and all of a sudden the whole ski just died which freaked me out since I was taking on water pretty quick!
    BTW, I was thinking having a rag on board to tie around the leaking seal if this happens again. Maybe it's something everyone should be encouraged to have! Of course you can't run the machine but it may stop the leak long enough for you to be towed home. I myself will probably get an electric pump!
    Anyway, I then restarted the ski (without removing the laynard) and it started but drove like shit but was able to get to shore. I now have bought a new carbon seal which was not needed and a bellow which was the problem! (The new one is longer).
    I then checked for codes by pressing menu 5 times (whatever the manual said) and got nothing. Two days later I started the ski out of the water and was able to rev higher than 4 k so I guess it's not limited now. I will have to get it into the water to be sure, but may have a mechanic use a reader for any codes, if it is still a problem.
    I guess it's possible that the ignition components got damp/wet and I was just stalling from that and was not in a limp home scenario?
    What does limp home mode actually feel like? Is it rough engine that can only rev to about 3 k? Do you have to remove the laynard and restart?
    After it stalled it ran rough and I was getting a little white smoke out of the exhaust. That means unburned fuel correct. So maybe I have diagnosed my problem in this post. Wet ignition parts!
    As for the drive shaft the old one is rusty and pitted especially under the the floating ring where the o rings seal. It also has heavy wear marks/burred just an eighth of an inch long at the end of the splines that go into the impeller.
    Anyway, the damn new drive shaft is sitting in Miami post office and I wont get it for a couple more days so I was thinking of putting it together with the old one cleaned up and see how it's running. So I can I can see if it happens again, and maybe have fun this weekend. At least I wont be sinking this time, if it does stall out!
    BTW it's a 04 GTX 4 tec.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    your diagnosis is flawed..limp mode is always accompanied by a major error code..how are ou reading the codes?

a carbon seal failure will titanac a 4-tec in a few minutes ( unless you are one of the guys with an electric bilge pump)

and why oh wh are you looking to replace the drive shaft?..taht's a pricey bit. you have other things to fix first

get teh hull dried out..get the carbon seal/hat/ring and all parts inbetween in line and then we can talk.

Be aware that late at night..stuff seems far funnier then it really is ( check any of my pre- 7am PST posts for the New Mexico version.

if you need help..it helps to provide the model/year of the ski you are having trouble with.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I need a new keyboard..and I should likely take a nap when I get home from the shop. Apologies to all for my horrendous lack of spell check and a keyboard covered in goo.

+1
    Limp Home Modes
    Besides the signals as seen above, the ECM may
    automatically uses default parameters for the engine
    management to ensure the adequate operation
    of the watercraft if a component of the fuel
    injection system is not operating properly.
    The following components failure will trigger a
    limp home mode: CTS, EGTS, OPS, OSPS and
    TOPS.
    When minor fault occurs, the fault and message/
    beeper will disappear automatically, if the
    condition does not exist anymore.
    Releasing throttle and letting the engine returning
    at idle speed may allow normal operation to come
    back. If it does not work, try removing and reinstalling
    the safety lanyard on its post.
    Depending on the malfunction, the watercraft
    speed may be reduced and not allowed to reach