2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar

Just installed trim tabs on my 2006 Seadoo Speedster 200 - review:

Hey guys.

I keep my jetboat on Lake Michigan and there are at least 1 foot waves on any given day. After extensive research I ordered the trim tabs (on back order as of 7/5/2012) but I found a dealer in Michigan that had one set in stock. Cost is around $388.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Basically they 2 pieces of metal, stacked on top of each other that bolt onto the end of the ride plates at the bottom rear of the boat. 2 bolts on the top plate are manually screwed down into the plate underneath to push that plate and angle it down into the water. The maximum adjustment is about 1/4 inch. I have set mine at the maximum adjustment.

The only tools needed for installation is a 1/2 inch countersinking bit, a 4mm allen, 10mm wrench or socket, and an approx 3/16 drill bit. You will be drilling 7 holes on each plate. 2 sets of vise grips to hold the plate against the ride plate so you can drill the holes accurately.

Night and day difference. There is very minimal porpoising / bouncing now. Whereas before you needed to release the throttle to stop the bouncing, now the only time you need to release the throttle is when you go through 1 - 1 1/2+ foot wakes. Keeps the pumps hooked up in the water much better. Keeps the front end down so you don't need to peer over the front of the boat to see where you are going.

Highly recommended. Running to see a movie, will post the part number later if anyone needs it. You WILL DEFINITELY need the part number when ordering from the dealer as they probably won't be able to find it.

+1
    Can you get some pics of this setup as well. Also how much top end do you think you lost on flat water. Good to here there are options out there to help control a problem that should have been addressed at the factory.

+1
    same here, interested in the setup.
    and if i would be doing them, id maybe make them "switch" on the go like normal trim tabs on a boat to not lose any top end if its a concern...

Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    same here, interested in the setup.
    and if i would be doing them, id maybe make them "switch" on the go like normal trim tabs on a boat to not lose any top end if its a concern...
    The bolts on the top plate push the bottom plate, bending the metal and pushing the middle plate into the water. If you have a lot of extra time to spare and $600-$1000 to spend on the project it may be worth it, but the $400 option from Bombardier is 90% effective. Not sure if you want to spend the $$ and $$$Time$$$ chasing the last 10% of that.

Here is a link to pictures from someone else's install....

http://www.jetboating.net/jetboating...?galleryid=295

Here is another thread that talks about it:

http://www.jetboating.net/jetboating...1&postid=57858

+1
    Wow that's a lot of money for a piece of steel. Im sure it helps out with the bouncing but I would think they could lower the price on them and still make a good profit off it.

Have you tried it on flat water to just get a idea as to how much top end you would lose ?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinstang View Post
    Wow that's a lot of money for a piece of steel. Im sure it helps out with the bouncing but I would think they could lower the price on them and still make a good profit off it.

Have you tried it on flat water to just get a idea as to how much top end you would lose ?
    If I didn't have the itch to just get it done and over with, and enjoy my summer without another project on my mind I would have just made the plate myself. It would be very easy to make a non adjustable 10-12 inch by 7 inch plate that had a ~12 degree wedge on it overhanging the ride plate.

No I have not tested out the top end loss of speed. Reason being is that my wear rings are worn. I was strongly debating going with stainless steel wear rings and new Solas concord 14/19 impellers but I'm just going with OEM Seadoo wear rings, should be installing them today or Friday. I'll report back. I was getting about 55mph previously with about 450lbs on board. I'll get the GPS out and let everyone know what I'm getting with these tabs adjusted in the full down position. As a side note the full down position may be too aggressive - I feel like it's taking away from fuel mileage but can't confirm as I have no way to measure MPG in this boat, especially with the varying conditions on Lake Michigan... I'm going to back off the bolts to about the 50% adjustment - what I'm guessing is about a 8% angle into the water.

I want to get these, can't find anywhere! Anyone with manual that wants to send my way would be greatly appreciated!

Or even better if you know where I can buy some. Everyone around me is out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafigs7 View Post
    Or even better if you know where I can buy some. Everyone around me is out of stock.
    I just did a dealer locator search through my local seadoo dealer and they are showing the tabs as discontinued and out of a stock in the entire country... Either have some made locally or research electronic trim tabs which I remember reading someone actually made some work on their 200... having them adjustable on the fly will save you gas money when you don't need them almost fully down.

Thread Information