Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Best all around Waverunner

Alright, here's the deal. I'm in the market for a Yamaha and a Yamaha only. I know much about the specs of all the models, but I am here to grab opinions from those of you who have hands-on experience. I'm looking to get a super-fast waverunner, but one that is extremely reliable as well.

The FZS is my cup of tea on paper, with it's 3 seat capability, towing, as well as high-performance build. The VXR is getting praise for it's high-performance at a budget cost. The FX-SHO is a beast of a cruiser with options out the ying.

I'm truly torn, mainly because I want it all.

Which ski would you recommend?

Keep in mind, price is of no object, because I see no difference in sacrificing a couple grand to "not settle for less" then what will truly give me a rush every-time out.

+1
    If price doesn't matter I think the new green 2012 FZS looks badass! I love my FZS.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Are you going to mod? What level of performance do you want? How much maintenance do you want? How much storage do you need?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the FZS
    Where are you located, if I may ask?

+1
    Comes down to desired speed goal and water conditions... rough water (or smooth) and 85+ mph, go with the FZS or FX SHO (which require more maintenance) smooth water and go 72-75, choose the VXR, with little maintenance. All will tow well. Generally, all of them are reliable. Don't be suprised if this thread gets hijacked by Kawasaki pushers like a similar thread did.

7. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    FZS unless you're riding primarily in rough stuff, then get the SHO

9. +1 by:

+1
    FZS....DO IT!

11. +1 by:

+1
    just bought a 2012 fzs and i love it, great all around ski, i would suggest it for anyone looking for a new ski

13. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave1oner View Post
    Alright, here's the deal. I'm in the market for a Yamaha and a Yamaha only. I know much about the specs of all the models, but I am here to grab opinions from those of you who have hands-on experience. I'm looking to get a super-fast waverunner, but one that is extremely reliable as well.

The FZS is my cup of tea on paper, with it's 3 seat capability, towing, as well as high-performance build. The VXR is getting praise for it's high-performance at a budget cost. The FX-SHO is a beast of a cruiser with options out the ying.
    Wave1oner; you can't go wrong with any of them!

If you ride rougher water a lot, I would go for the new FX-SHO for the best luxury/performance combo. If you want a more nimble ski with excellent fuel economy, go for the VXR/S. We recommend a $200 intake grate swap for safety on the FZS (see sticky) but after that, the supercharged FZ's are hard to beat for big speed and value; you can usually find a left-over with zero hours sitting around for $10K or less, plus you can easily modify them into a true "super-fast" monster of a dragster.

As stock machines, they ALL offer Yamaha's massive, under-stressed 1812 cc engine; they ALL use regular grade fuel and they ALL come from the most reliable PWC family on the market; we have nearly 400 combined hours on our FZ's with zero issues and very little maintenance. My suggestion is get with your dealer(s) ask if they have any demo models and try to schedule a test ride on all of them, then pick the one you like best. You're on the right track dude, enjoy the quest!

15. +1 by:

Crystal River Florida. Home of speed restricted manatee zones.
    +1
    Just remember...if you start modding your supercharged ski, you will start consuming alot of fuel...and with a 19 gallon gas tank that can be costly. I have an FZS, and love it. Would get another in a second.

17. +1 by:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information