Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How predominant is valve failure on early 06 RXP's

Upon checking my 06 RXP exhaust valves, part numbers falls under the bad batch. Before I pull the head, as it is an intensive and costly procedure, I wanted to check what are the actual failure rates of these valves? Is it an actual MUST DO item and has anyone ran these valves for pro longed periods, with out failure?

My ski currently has 52hrs, with 42# injectors, green wheel upgraded supercharger impeller (Jerry rebuilt less then 4 hrs ago), Riva stage 1, Fizzle larger intercooler, 15-20r Solas prop, OPAS removed, turning around 8100rpm, 74-5 gps'd mph (I am at sea level), never been in salt water or around it.

I love my ski and take great care of it (never really abuse and hold 8100 for more then a couple of seconds) and would hate to have catastrophic engine damage but my budget is currently tight...

Thoughts are greatly appreciated...

+1
    It happens very often. Low hours mean nothing. In fact, long periods of storage are just as bad. If you think you have a tight budget now wait til you have to rebuild it with new internals and machining

+1
    Previous post is correct...Its just a gamble waiting...sounds like a big job but you own it...wouldn't you like to keep owning it verse selling it with a blown motor for what$$$? If you like to gamble...ride it out the season and do it over the winter. Save what you can ahead of time...lots of tech tips on here from the right people...there a some good guys on here to rebuild the head for you and you just do the r&r of it. I know that it kinda sucks to find out about the valves but wouldn't you rather know than not and BOOM! Anyways once its apart you know you're gonna wanna buy some more go fast goodies anyways!!! Its a win win situation!

I also have a 06. How do u know when they started to use better material ? What year or production date ?

+1

+1
    I purchased 2 used 2004 RXPs w/ 209 and 232 hours on each. Both had their original heads w/ original valves in them and are still running to this day-- rear motor mounts broke through the 1st layer of the hauls from jumping waves in Lake Michigan-- they had a HARD life. I purchased a stage 3 RXP w/ 150 hours on it with the original valves and Riva heavy springs and retainers that ran 8500+ rpm-- I swapped the head for an OEM reman w/ the new style valves when I repaired a blown head gasket for peace of mind-- cost me around $750 for the parts and I had some free help. I also purchased an 06 RXP w/ 77 hours on it with the old style valves in it that had a rod cap come loose which blew a MASSIVE hole in the cases-- the old style valves looked perfect. I just purchased a 2005 RXT that is 100% original w/ 115 hours on it-- I put on an x charger, 14/19r solas and a modified 185 steeing nozzle-- wish me luck For what ever reason, here in Michigan bottom end damage is MUCH more common than top end damage-- these are my personal experiences.

IF your motor drops a valve, the costs to repair will likely be in excess $3000 if you do most of the work yourself-- you may be left with a parts machine.

+1
    My 04 ran forever and got treated bad. My 06 was faster, but I think it died pretty quickly after I sold it :/

I did read and examined the below thread but wanted to get more opinions...
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post

For this exact reason I posted this thread. It seems most of the early production BRP valve failures occurred when used or stored on or near salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I purchased 2 used 2004 RXPs w/ 209 and 232 hours on each. Both had their original heads w/ original valves in them and are still running to this day-- rear motor mounts broke through the 1st layer of the hauls from jumping waves in Lake Michigan-- they had a HARD life. I purchased a stage 3 RXP w/ 150 hours on it with the original valves and Riva heavy springs and retainers that ran 8500+ rpm-- I swapped the head for an OEM reman w/ the new style valves when I repaired a blown head gasket for peace of mind-- cost me around $750 for the parts and I had some free help. I also purchased an 06 RXP w/ 77 hours on it with the old style valves in it that had a rod cap come loose which blew a MASSIVE hole in the cases-- the old style valves looked perfect. I just purchased a 2005 RXT that is 100% original w/ 115 hours on it-- I put on an x charger, 14/19r solas and a modified 185 steeing nozzle-- wish me luck For what ever reason, here in Michigan bottom end damage is MUCH more common than top end damage-- these are my personal experiences.

IF your motor drops a valve, the costs to repair will likely be in excess $3000 if you do most of the work yourself-- you may be left with a parts machine.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Most all the failures you hear about come from northern ski's that were just put back into service from being winterized.... improperly winterized that is.

It seems that if the ski's are used - run often, and don't just sit.... the failure rate is pretty low. Ride - run the ski weekly, blow out your waterbox the best you can after riding - flushing.... and you"ll probably be fine.

Everyone here pretty much rides year round, and our ski's normally don't sit for more than 2 weeks or so at a time. I don't think I've ever known of anyone her to stick - drop one of these early valves. Float yes.... stick no.

I personally ran a set for 206 hrs with no issues.... including salt water use.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco3197 View Post
    I also have a 06. How do u know when they started to use better material ? What year or production date ?
    You need to check the part number on top of the valve stem. The valves where supposedly changed out in mid 06.... all depends on when your engine was built. I've seen a few 06 models with 05 manufactured engines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information