Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uh-oh, VXR/S owners check your seats...

I pulled my seat off my VXR yesterday and got a surprise. The fabric of the seat is getting torn up on the right inside edge near the front. I believe what happened is the rivets on the side of the hull rubbed the seat fabric and wore away. Doh. It's out of warranty, does anyone have a suggestion to first of all stop the rubbing and secondly patch the seat?

A thought I had last night was to get some small circle rubber patches like you'd use to patch a tire and just stick them over the rivets. I'm not sure about patching the seat though....

Check your seat, see if it looks the same! Maybe this has been fixed for 2012? Or maybe it's just a problem for me??

+1
    Damn. The seat on my 2012 VXR scuffed the paint where it sits on the front corner of the ski. You can't see it when the seats on though. I assumed its from a small amount of play while riding as I am very carefull when removing it to wash/flush ski.

Once you take care of the issue I'd just look into getting a jet trim seat cover for it.

+1
    Time for Seat Cover Bruhhh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	277600  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    Time for Seat Cover Bruhhh
    That's what I was thinking. Just a good reason to call Jettrim

+1
    Duct tape is a nearly perfect match for the silver vinyl. Just make a thin strip of double thickness and stick it over the area. It'll last a few months before the tape wears through and needs replacement.

You might also want to adjust the seat lock assembly slightly so the seat is more evenly centered over the hull opening.

A new seat cover will be over $300 after shipping and install, so I'm going to fix mine the best I can first. I'll try the double layer duct tape first.

+1
    When you do decide to recover and assuming you go with an aftermarket cover, remember that the new cover goes over the existing vinyl cover. You'll want to stitch or glue a more permanent patch over the hole in the vinyl so water can't seep into the foam padding. The kits made to patch holes in vinyl pool liners are cheap and the patches are durable. Or your cover installer can probably patch it for a few extra bucks before putting on the cover.

I did not know that the jetTrim seat cover went over top.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I did not know that the jetTrim seat cover went over top.
    If you have a good installer, they'll take the oem one off and waterproof the seat with plastic wrap. It fits better with less "bagginess".

I went out and looked at mine. The rivets are pop rivets and the part of the rivet that pops off when it is installed leaves a jagged stem that sometimes sticks up through the rivet (mine is anyway). I know that not everyone has air tools, but i am going to take a die grinder and a scotch-brite wheel and smooth the whole thing down. Perhaps those that don't have air tools could just replace them with stainles steel button head fasteners?

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot ... a new seat cover won't stop it from happening again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information