+1

2006 yamaha fx 140, Help me with my oil level.

Hi everybody i recently purchased this ski. It was not running when i bought but it was just a bad battery. So once i got started only real issue ive had has been the oil level situation. I have gone through the manual and checked out the procedure to measure your oil level. Like everybody knows Level the ski, start it warm it up for about 7 to 8 minutes ( i pass the 10 minute mark just to make sure) shut it off and then check our oil level.

The manual says that when its cold you should get the tip of the stick with a little bit of oil like we all know and when hot inbetween the full and low mark.

Well mine is apposite i get when cold over the full mark and when hot in the middle mark. Makes no sense to me.

I actually took oil out and started the ski letting it warm up (again pass the 10 minute mark idleing and with some quick rpm blips to get it warmed up quicker). From their i started to add oil as i went along to get it in the middle mark. Once i did i shut it off and waited till the next day to check my cold oil level. I got the same result passed the full mark.

If anyone can help i would really appreciate it. The ski seems to be running fine just has this issue. And ive checked the entire hull their is not oil spill anywhere.

Thank you

its not an issue, you dont understand how dry sump systems work, what you see is normal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    its not an issue, you dont understand how dry sump systems work, what you see is normal.
    Thank you for responding but your not helping me much by telling me that i dont understand the system.

From what i have read in the service manual is that when the engine is cold, you should get a low oil reading or no oil contact on the dipstick. When the system is hot you should get a inbetween full and low mark reading.

What im getting when the engine is fully warmed up is an inbetween full and low reading (where it should be when its hot) but when cold im getting an over the full line reading which this contradicts the service repair manual. Correct?

So how am i not understanding the system? Not trying to be a smart mouth just trying to make sense of what your comment says.

Can anyone help out here?

Hi

Do a search on the forum, oil level on FX 160/140 .. I had the same isue. Prev owner overfilled it and smashed the air filter. Also check you tube.
    Drain out all the oil in the tank, and put in +- 2lt of fresh oil .. Start and check, only real place to check is on the water.

Cheers, hope it helps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayman4x4 View Post
    Hi

Do a search on the forum, oil level on FX 160/140 .. I had the same isue. Prev owner overfilled it and smashed the air filter. Also check you tube.
    Drain out all the oil in the tank, and put in +- 2lt of fresh oil .. Start and check, only real place to check is on the water.

Cheers, hope it helps
    Thanks, ive actually done exactly what you just told me except i have not taken it to the water because i have no one to ride with and im afraid the ski will take a dump on me out their.

I actually had the ski with no oil what so ever in the tank when cold, so I added oil until the oil touched the dip stick. Closed it back up and started the ski let it run for more then 10 plus minutes, turned it off and checked the oil level, the oil level was not even registering. It was like if the oil that is suppose to be at the bottom with the crankcase was not their. So i started the motor again and added oil until it started to show on the dip stick. Once i got it to hit the dip stick while hot. I would repeat the process until i got it to the inbetween mark. Once i got it their i shut everything off and waited until the next day to check the oil level while cold. This process was over 30 minutes on the hose.

When i checked the oil level the next day cold it showed over the full line which made no sense since the oil is suppose to drain into the crankcase and barely touch the dip stick while cold. So my ski is doing the opposite. I dont know what can cause it to show half way when hot but to show over the full mark when cold when its suppose to do the opposite.

Maybe a weak oil pump?

(going to preface this with - this post will be of no help to you).

I just picked up a '06 FX HO and the way you describe it in your initial post (barely on dip stick when cold and half way when warm) is exactly how mine is. On first fire up a couple times mine has tossed an oil light. Turn it off, check oil (mid way on dip stick) and refire and it's fine.

When you're storing it is it level? Mine gets stored on the tongue jack and is pretty close to level.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
    (going to preface this with - this post will be of no help to you).

I just picked up a '06 FX HO and the way you describe it in your initial post (barely on dip stick when cold and half way when warm) is exactly how mine is. On first fire up a couple times mine has tossed an oil light. Turn it off, check oil (mid way on dip stick) and refire and it's fine.

When you're storing it is it level? Mine gets stored on the tongue jack and is pretty close to level.
    Yeap i make sure that its leveled. I sucked all the oil out and poured new oil until it touched the end of the dipstick. Once this happened i cranked it on and the oil completely disapeared you could see the bottom of the tank which instead its suppose to show me the half way reading when hot.

+1
    Well finally got the ski in the water again and it ran like a champ gave it almost 2 hours run and beat the hell out of it. Ran my full throttle runs some in around 30 second plus full throttle. The ski ran great no lights smoke or oily film on water. Im very content with this outcome today and tomorrow ill be taking it to miami beach. To do some hard riding near shore.

Thread Information