Sea doo Challenger bog at 5500 rpm

Hi all im new here but not to seadoos or to getting most of my answers from here without asking a question just by searching . Ok the problem i have is a 97 challenger 800 single motor that bogs at 5500 , it has 150 psi in each cylinder the carb filters are clean , the inline fuel filter is new , The water regulator is good , new bellow on it does leak some but always has before this problem , the impeller and wear ring are new but ran fine with them then it started to once and a while not pass 5500 right on takeoff then more frequent now every time , the boat will hit 6800 6900 if it breaks free and will hold that for a bit ,Here are my thought to try yet , Hard jet regulator but unsure of jet sizes to use and to also disconect red wire from reg/rect but unsure where it is The boat will hit around 6000 if held open for awhile but then kinda surges back and forth 5500-6000 Sorry for the long post and i am very thankful for anyhelp on this

+1
    What you are describing sounds like your RAVE valves are sticking. They should be cleaned at the end or beginning of every season and make sure you use a good oil such as the Seadoo full synthetic or Amsoil to help prevent this from happening. Now if your RAVE valves are clean then it can be dirty carbs. There is a small internal filter on each carb that will cause the engine to run rough or surge when they start to plug up. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2m View Post
    What you are describing sounds like your RAVE valves are sticking. They should be cleaned at the end or beginning of every season and make sure you use a good oil such as the Seadoo full synthetic or Amsoil to help prevent this from happening. Now if your RAVE valves are clean then it can be dirty carbs. There is a small internal filter on each carb that will cause the engine to run rough or surge when they start to plug up. Hope that helps.
    +1 on the raves... if your water control valve (water regulator is acting up) it will also simulate a weird rpm drop/rise...

did you pull the rave caps off and look underneath to see if nothing is melted or burnt and also not leaking any oil?

Thank you ,Ok would the raves stick when the plastic cover is off ? they move freely by hand with the covers off , no oil leaks at all either , The filters inside the carb are great as well i took those apart and checked em they were not clogged at all i sprayed them out with carb cleaner and put it back together , all gaskets seemed new or atleast recent replacement

+1
    I worked on one that was doing the same thing, I've done everything I can think of, no go, bought a new MPEM, BING GO ! that's what it was, I guess it was going bad. But not saying that's your issue but just saying.

My pump had a stud that pulled out ,I got it back in but not perfect it revs fine now just shy on 7000. And about 45 on the speedo , it sucks air for a bit till it planes out then is fine after that , so going to figure away tomarrow to retap the stud or put a bolt through from the inside and silicone the crap out of it and I'm thinking I should be ok

Also raves were a big part of my problem , I pulled and cleaned them they were worse then I have ever seen a snowmobile get , the allen bolts still had factory white paint on them so maybe the first cleaning

Thread Information