MSX150 oil problem

I recently acquired an 04 MSX150. It is pouring foamy oil out of the exhaust pipe and the RPMs are limited to 3300. I have checked the oil level using the proper instructions and it is not overfilled. I have heard of the turbo seals going bad on these units and causing similar problems. Don't have any local polaris watercraft dealers in my area, so I'm going to try and tackle it myself. Compression is within spec on both cylinders and there is no oil in the coolant to inidicate a blown head gasket. Anyone else running in to this type of issue??

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

There has been a few reports of blown turbos here on the forum. You should be able to search for them to read about their situations... but it does sound like that is likely your issue too.

A lot of time a blown turbo will spew oil into the intake tract. Do you have oil in your turbo-to-intercooler hose? Or inside the intercooler? Or in the intercooler-to-intake hose/pipe? If so, it's a PITA to get that all clean and often the 2 MAP sensors (one on IC-to-intake pipe, one on front side of intake manifold) get oil coated which messes them up and they need replaced. Plus the trouble of getting the IC and intake mani flushed out clean. If your intake tract is clean (I'd be surprised) and it's only blowing oil out the exhaust, then count yourself lucky.

You should be able to disassemble the turbo and remove the compressor and center cartridge out of the turbo exhaust manifold. Not having done it, I'm not sure if you can do it easily with the engine still in the ski. Then send it off to any competent turbo rebuilder to get it rebuilt. Or it could be a good time to upgrade to a larger compressor turbo. There are a few folks on here with good reports about upgraded turbos. Desperado at Precision Sports in Quebec can reflash our ECUs (just did mine) and I believe he still offers a special reflash for upgraded turbos. Even a stock turbo Stage 1 reflash is very recommended.

What is your compression? So you're keeping cold engine oil level at or below MIN on the dipstick, right?

Cheers!

**edited to clarify oil level markings

From what I have read here, it is the cold engine oil level that should be at or below the MIN on the stock tank. When the engine warms a lot, it should be running more near the normal level range. On a cold engine after you run it for 30 seconds the oil should be just touching the end of the dipstick or just below that and you're fine.

+1
    Agreed. Barely on the stick when cold rises up to around or slightly above the MIN mark when warm, right?

Oil level is being checked correctly, as stated above and on every other thread I could find on oil level. Pulled the intake out and it is full of oil/water mix. I sent precision an email through their website and it was kicked back with a failure notice??? My question is, how is water introduced to the oil if the ski has never been submerged? Also, are there any reputable companies state side that can rebuild these turbos? Last question for now. Does anyone know the specs on these turbos and who makes them? Are the manufactured by Garrett turbos and just sold through webber?

+1
    Sorry to hear about the oil and water in your intake. Can you tell if it is water or coolant mixed with the oil?

You should pull the turbo-to-intercooler hose and the intercooler-to-intake hose and check them. The water could be coming from the intercooler... a leaking water line in there or it more likely could be leaking into the oil in the oil tank. Whereas the oil is likely coming from either a blown turbo or being sucked in it's already watery/foamy oil state into the turbo from the oil separator/cyclone-to-airbox recirc hose. If you have foaming oil (loose baffle in oil tank) or too much oil in the oil system, it tends to get sucked back through this emissions recirc hose and sucked back through the turbo and into the intake.

So guess you need to pull some hoses and see where the oil and water are originating.

As for rebuilding turbos... there are many companies that can rebuild the stocker. It is very similar to a small turbo used in many cars. It's just disassembly, replacing the center cartridge/bearings/seals... reassembly and re-balancing. I read somewhere Jay at SharpsMarine can do it (??). Or you could ask Martin (Desperado) at Precision Sports. He can be reached at <[email protected]>. He would be a good person to ask about the turbo. He used to sell an upgraded turbo for our skis.

Here is some turbo info he said in a different post
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    The turbo cartridge is a common kkk k03 watercooled unit. These turbo are common on smaller VW and Audi engines. The only difference may be the diameter of the turbine wheel. A good turbo shop will get you going in no time with a brand new K03 cartridge at a fraction of the cost from what Polaris is charging.
    From this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=turbo+rebuild

Cheers!

Unfortunately, desperado's precision email is kicking back undeliverable. I tried sending through the contact page of his weebsite and direct. no luck either way. I sent a PM through this forum, but not sure it'ws working as it doesn't show up in my sent folder

+1
    I have been chatting to Desperardo, he is a bit tied up at the moment. he will reply

Thanks Kosh, just not sure if he is even getting my messages to respond to

Thread Information