Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post 2002 Virage I Engine Turns but won't start, just a loud pop

My 2002 Virage I was pulled out of storage and I am having an issue getting it started. I have new plugs with good spark, good compression, fuel pump is pushing 20 psi and 30 psi when line is pinched. I took out the fuel injectors and they look good. When I press the start button the engine turns but wont kick on. I press on the gas as I attempt to start and I get a big loud ear busting pop, followed with black smoke out of the exhaust. I cleaned the top of the pistons thinking it was due to carbon build up, but I still get the big pop. I am puzzled. Looking for help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Backfiring on a Ficht engine is almost always an EMM failure. The EMM is effectively badly out of time internally with wild spark advance, hence the backfiring.

You can check the flywheel for correct TDC index and check the CPS for correct ohms and no damage, but my guess is that the EMM needs repair. See my signature links for info on DFI Technologies, who repairs the Ficht EMM.
    Last edited by K447; 07-21-2012 at 01:19 PM.

+1
    When you put in new plugs you didn't mix up the spark plug wires?

I did not mess with the spark plug wires at the ignition coil, I was thinking it could be the ignition coil, the TPS or CPS.

Quote Originally Posted by millerman View Post
    I did not mess with the spark plug wires at the ignition coil, I was thinking it could be the ignition coil, the TPS or CPS.
    he ment: at the spark plug to spark plug boot connections, did you accidently mix up the firing order of the wires (when 2 are mixed up they backfire easily)

Gotcha, nope they were not mixed up.

+1
    If CPS is shot, there will be no spark, so back fire unlikely. I agree with K447... get that EMM out, send to DFI for testing. If TPS was on the fritz, you can unplug, and it should start. If plug wires on the right plugs, you should not get a wild timing swing backfire, unless EMM has advanced timing to a crazy position. Big booms in motor not normal.... how does timing get out of whack sitting??? EMM is the only way. Just for quick kicks check indexing... there are several write ups for index checking, very simple. If plug wires on correct holes, and indexing is correct.... EMM is my bet.

Greatly appreciate the feedback, I agree with it not being a timing issue but I will check it out. Now if I disconnect the TPS can I still give gas with the throttle? I am going to give it a try today. Does anyone have an idea what kind of cost I am looking at to have the EMM repaired? And the turn around on getting the EMM back from DFI?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by millerman View Post
    Greatly appreciate the feedback, I agree with it not being a timing issue but I will check it out.

Now if I disconnect the TPS can I still give gas with the throttle?

I am going to give it a try today.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of cost I am looking at to have the EMM repaired? And the turn around on getting the EMM back from DFI?
    Engine will NOT respond to throttle with TPS unplugged. It should start and idle without the TPS, that is all.

You can call DFI Technologies to confirm their current pricing. My understanding is that a typical EMM repair runs around $700 but it can vary depending on what they find.

A backfire could conceivably cause the flywheel to shear the woodruff key and shift the flywheel out of index. But that first backfire would have been caused by something else.

Well CPS looks good, measured below 200 ohms. Disconnected the TPS and added gas to the intake manifold, started for a second then died. I took out the EMM and opened it up to look at the circuit board, turns out that the silicone covering on one side of the EMM is cracked and can be peeled up easily, also looks bubbly in certain areas. Definitely looks like something is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information