Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Domestic Crankshaft Retaining Ring 7710441 omitted on some domestic engines? MSX 140?

I am having a senior moment here.

While rebuilding my 2004 MSX 140 engine I just realized I did not have a marked plastic baggie for the retaining ring that normally sits in front of the MAG crank shaft bearing.

Furthermore (and this is the part I am embarrassed about) I cannot recall whether there ever was a retaining ring in the front of this engine when I pulled it apart. Unlike the older domestic engines, the official parts diagrams do NOT show this retaining ring in front of the MAG crank bearings for the 2004 MSX 140.

I know the MSX engine has a special locating bearing with an integrated circlip positioned between the MAG and CEN crank webs. That circlip is already in place and engaged with the matching MSX 140 crank case groove.

Question: Did Polaris delete this front crank bearing retaining ring 7710441 from 2004 MSX engines, or have I simply misplaced the original retaining ring when I pulled the engine apart?

I know most of us would feel better to have the front retaining ring installed, but I don't have one on hand and would like to move forward with the reassembly.

Argh!

Banned User
    +1
    I don't know the answer to your question, but if you need one I probably have one sitting around here you can have.

+1
    Thanks

I can get a ring locally but it would slow me down to go fetch one. The nearest Polaris dealer is two hours away

+1
    Yes, you need the one behind the mag housing, (in front of mag bearing) as well as the one thats already installed. Use the seal with the brown inner as the inner seal on the PTO end.

+1

No front crank shaft retaining ring in 2003 MSX 140 engines either?

I asked vwmikey if his recently parted out 2003 MSX 140 engine had that retaining ring. Apparently it did not;

Quote Originally Posted by vwmikey99
    Hey Keith,

I just had a look this morning. Unfortunately, there was NO retaining ring to be found. It looked like there was a spot where it could have gone, but there was nothing there. I even checked the rubbermaid bin that the motor has been taken apart in, and I could not find one that may have fallen out.
    So far the evidence is saying that these MSX 140 engines were factory assembled without a front crank case retaining ring.

+1
    I believe there was a problem / design change at Polaris and the ring was omitted. Be sure to put one in!
    I feel it it extremely important to have it, as it keeps the crankshaft from walking forward.

Regards,
    Randy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Weber Guy View Post
    I believe there was a problem / design change at Polaris and the ring was omitted. Be sure to put one in!

I feel it it extremely important to have it, as it keeps the crankshaft from walking forward.

Regards,
    Randy
    Polaris deleted the front retaining ring from MSX 140 engine production, but that change was actually a bad idea? Hmmm.

447, so did you ever put one in? Mine came with one so I put it back in, however my brothers did not come with one. Would you recommend putting one in? If so what size is that ring? Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2MSX140's View Post
    447, so did you ever put one in? Mine came with one so I put it back in, however my brothers did not come with one. Would you recommend putting one in? If so what size is that ring? Thanks!
    I did indeed install a crank shaft bearing retaining ring into the front of my MSX 140 engine.

In my case I installed it after the bottom of the engine was assembled. It does take a strong hand and good snap ring pliers to get the ring to squeeze into place.

It would be much easier to insert the retaining ring while assembling the bottom end.

It is the same size as used on other Polaris domestic engines, the part number did not change over the years. It was actually challenging to find a local shop that actually had a new one on hand, as they were standard on all domestic engines for years, and were reused when an engine was rebuilt. They do not normally wear out or get damaged so the demand for new retaining rings must be rare.

I now have a couple of spares here, just in case

+1
    my 03 had one 04 did not but i installed one

Thread Information