Thread: Polaris SL750

Polaris SL750

I'm looking for my first PWC and I'm thinking about going the used route. I am admittedly a novice in this area so thought I'd reach out here for some advice.

I know of someone selling a 1996 Polaris SL750. What are some good qualifying questions to ask to gauge its condition and ultimate worth? I plan on replying to this thread with the answers I get to get an idea of what a good asking price would be. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Health of the engine is the biggest overall factor in it's worth, IMHO. Hull condition, hours, etc etc etc don't mean a whole lot on an older machine if you do a compression test and find that it's got problems.

So...moral of the (very short) story - start with a compression test.

Then, if possible, take it out on the water - how it runs on the trailer isn't always indicative of how it will run once loaded down in water.

+1
    I'm new to this myself and bought the sl750 before I found this site.

I paid $300 and found nothing was good, I knew the engine needed a rebuild.
    Ended up putting another $900 to get on the water.

Do as these guys say, they are the best help you will get anywhere!
    Be aware that this ski is not real stable but it is very playful!
    Not good at all for 2 up.

Good luck.

Compression test before you buy...then ask if it has the updated fuel lines..Does it have a triple outlet fuel pump? Have carbs been rebuilt professionally lately?
    Is it currently on the water and has owner been using it this year. Letting these things setup is not good for them.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

First find out exactly what it is you're looking to buy. They did not make a 1996 SL 750. It's either a 1995 750 or a 1996 SL 780. (big difference)

Compression test as noted and take it for a test ride if you can before paying anything.

Honestly, a good condition (running well) ski iof that size or year with a good trailer should not cost more than $1200.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    First find out exactly what it is you're looking to buy. They did not make a 1996 SL 750. It's either a 1995 750 or a 1996 SL 780. (big difference)
    First red flag if this is the info the current owner gave you..... They don't even know what they have, so be wary about the information they give you, do your own research and testing.......

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    They don't even know what they have, so be wary about the information they give you, do your own research and testing.......
    That seems to be widespread in the watercraft world. When I was looking last spring I dealt with a couple sellers who had no idea what model year they were selling and gave me bad info, despite it being a pretty blatant part of the hull ID number. I had one guy argue with me left and right about him telling me his ski was a 2000 when the VIN clearly showed it was a 97.

Anyhow, when buying anything like this...don't believe a word of what the seller is telling you. Do your own homework, test things, and go in educated. Don't be afraid to walk away, especially this time of year - we've just about reached the point where it flips from a sellers market to a buyers market, at least up here in the north. Not sure where you are, your profile is pretty blank.

Thread Information