Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much would you pay for a 2000 GP1200R with bad crank shaft.

So my sisters wants a ski and I like the Gp1200 as I have 2 and run great although I plan on buying a newer FZR. Anyway local guy selling a GP1200r for 2500.00 with bad crankshaft 1 cylinder also has bad compression and is loose a bit. How much would you offer? I would like to buy it as project and order the parts and do it myself. Hull is clean and everything else is in good condition.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    not anywhere close to $2500. unless the ski is a real beauty with some heartburn I wouldn't pay much for skis that need major repairs.

average retail ( nada ) for that ski is $3700..if you do some quick math you'll see that making the engine right is going to cost you far more then $1200 unless you don't think your labor is worth anything.

Like I said..if the cosmetics are there and the trailer is nice..maybe..and maybe If I had a pair of 1200's..I'd go $1500 tops....but I would really really really need to have that ski..otherwise my offer would be so low as to not even bother mentioning it here.

My typical formula is about 80% of an SBT one year engine and half of that for labor. subtracted from the average retail. The last late model project ski I bought was a 2003 Seadooo XP-DI with a motor that had rusted solid. I paid $500 for that three years ago...and I only paid that much as the trailer was good and the meter only had ten hours on it!(talk about the heartbreak of lending your new 10k ski to somebody and finding out next spring it got bricked)

+1
    On the plus side, when you done fixing it, you know what you have instead of the mystery of buying another ski. I would expect to put $2000 in that ski to get it going. It could be easily be more or maybe less.

as alwasy thanks fellas makes all sense

I'm about 2.5hrs from you so I always check out your craigslist. Saw this one the other day...looked pretty good...
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/3085044161.html

I'm only ever worried about salt maintenance. All machines around here see salt but how well are they taken care of after a ride is KEY.

Best of luck,

Jason

Banned User
    +1

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    yup..if the trailer is really good.

+1
    My son just bought an '01 GPR with 50 hrs, perfect in every way, with cover and trailer for 3000. I would not pay over $1000, even if it looks real nice. Bad crank could mean bad cases, cyl might not be repairable, carbs could/should need rebuilt, gasket sets are expensive. Don't want to be a downer, but I bought 2 non-running XLL's last winter for 1000 each and I don't even want to talk about how much I have in them now. Of course they are built right and running great, but it still adds up to way more than you can figure at first.
    My opinion is to buy great running ski to begin with, then spend your money for goodies like mats, impeller, grate, plug kit, etc. (the fun stuff)

+1
    fi dollar

+1
    Everybody is right I wouldn't spend much considering if it was worse than you thought and you had to abandon the project and tried to part it you would only get a couple hundred for the parts that are in demand and have a bunch of spare parts nobody wants and a hull that you would have to get rid of some how.you gotta take the retail price and subtract what a new motor would cost plus your labor and cross your fingers that everything else works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information