GP800R motor blown :( What are my options?

I have a 2001 GP800R and I believe* that the crankshaft bearing just went. The motor turns on but has a high pitched wine and doesn't move faster than idle. What are my options monetarily in terms of selling, installing rebuilt motor, used bigger motor, trading, etc. What is it worth now and what should I put into it (opinions)?

Thanks!

Mike

516-902-7866

+1
    Have you checked the compression or pulled the head off? Does it rev up and not go anywhere? It may not be so bad if that's the case-check your splines.

Banned User
    +1
    Do a compression check, pull head, if pistons/ jugs tore up split the cases and remove crank. Start there

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Do a compression check, pull head, if pistons/ jugs tore up split the cases and remove crank. Start there
    There is compression on both cylinders. I dont think I have the mechanical skills/tools to start taking the heads off and troubleshooting. I am looking for answers assuming I have to pay a mechanic for everything . If it is just the crankshaft, is it worth replacing? Am I better off buying a SBT motor?

Thanks again!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    There is compression on both cylinders. I dont think I have the mechanical skills/tools to start taking the heads off and troubleshooting. I am looking for answers assuming I have to pay a mechanic for everything . If it is just the crankshaft, is it worth replacing? Am I better off buying a SBT motor?

Thanks again!

Mike

Does the whine sound like its comin from the motor or the pump? my expierience is that crank bearings knock or sieze completly. Try pullin the pump and disconect the driveshaft and see what happens, there isnt too much work involved in that one and if it stops squeelin, you know its in the pump.

+1
    What was the compression? If it's low just take the head off and have a look. I doesn't take much for tools. Get a 12mm socket and go to town. You wouldn't be out much besides a head gasket. Plus it won't cost you nothing like it would if you took it to a shop.

+1
    Sounds like drive shaft splines to me. I'm going through the same thing right now and just pulled my pump apart for a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejaeger1 View Post
    What was the compression? If it's low just take the head off and have a look. I doesn't take much for tools. Get a 12mm socket and go to town. You wouldn't be out much besides a head gasket. Plus it won't cost you nothing like it would if you took it to a shop.
    So if the compression is good, it cant be the crankshaft? Or are they unrelated?

It's probablly your pump-drive shaft, not the motor.

Thread Information