Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

aluminum washers on RXT supercharger?

Hi folks,

Brand new to the forum here. I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 RXT this week and I've read the rebuild thread and the bad stories of the supercharger failing. In my quest to try to find a well cared for RXT on the market with minimal if any problems, I have a question. I found a 2005 RXT with 98 hours and its in near showroom condition. The current owner is the 2nd owner and has serviced the ski regularly. He tells me he has paperwork showing the supercharger had the ceramic washers replaced with aluminum ones but the actual supercharger was not rebuilt. I'm new to all this but I was under the impression that the washers should be titanium and the supercharger rebuilt with new bearings etc. Should I be concerned? Any comments or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Welcome to the forum! The charger should be completely rebuilt at the 100 hour mark, do the reciepts say whay kind of washers were installed? Seadoo does not make a metal washer for charger shafts that are 07 and older. When rebuilding the charger it will be done to 08+ specs.

To answer your question, as long as the washers that are in there are still holding you should be fine, but you will need to consider rebuilding the charger or replacing it with an x-charger in the near future to be safe. To check the washers, remove the intake hose from the airbox going in to the supercharger and stick your hand in there and see if the impeller turns, if it spins freely the washers are gone, if there is resistance there are still in tact. With good washers you will be able to turn over the engine by turning the charger impeller.

+1
    at 98 hours it would be due for a rebuild anyway, so long as its not lost the washers it should be fine.

+1
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies. The receipt the seller has just shows aluminum washers were installed. It was just strange that a rebuild wasn't done when they already had the supercharger removed.

Also one other question, are there any early signs that may show up that the supercharger is about to breakdown? Would there be a noticable loss of power or RPM's? I'm going to probably take a test ride on it this weekend.

Jay

+1
    If I upgrade to a X-Charge.. What kinda new performance will I obtain? Would it be worth it? Does it involve some tuning or anything?

+1
    The supercharger wouldn't give much warning if it was going to go. Loss of power would come from the slip being too low.
    The charger wouldn't need a rebuild before 100 hours so there wasn't much reason to rebuild it when changing out the failure prone ceramic washers with metal ones. Best bet is buy a rebuild kit for ~300$ and send to Jerry to rebuild it for $50. Piece of mind plus if you get the newest version of the rebuild kit Seadoo claims it can last 200hrs before needing to be rebuilt.

+1
    Hi Chris,

That sounds like a good plan. Is it easy to remove the supercharger?

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

Will help you understand what is to be done to remove the supercharger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1pwr View Post
    Hi Chris,

That sounds like a good plan. Is it easy to remove the supercharger?
    Yes, 2 torx head bolts on the front and one in the back. There is a good link that was just posted above ^

The aluminum washers still does not sound right to me! When you are test driving you should be able to hear the charger whistle a bit and the RPM's schoul be over 7600, if they are, the washers are good.

As for noticing if a supercharger is going to fail, Last week I could hear a growl coming from the intake of my RXTX, pulled the hose off and the impeller in the charger was moving up and down. Bearings were on there way out. I think that was luck though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information