Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99gsxl bilge pump problems

replaced my bilge pump because the old one was cracked up and shot.. put in new one rule 500 fully automatic pwc bilge pump same color wires and everything.. it dont work.. checked continuity and its all good... getting no more then 9.5 volts at the connector to the pump and same 9.5 volts out of the mpem connector. fuse checks out good too... could this be a bad mpem? spedo does not work too changed wheel at plate still no luck.

you need to check your battery voltage and then follow the power from the main fuse in the rear to the mpem.. you either have a real low battery or a high draw from the battery or a loose or corroded connection some where..

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    You say "fully automatic?" does it has a built in float ? if it does i don't think it would work intil the water level triggered it? fill your hull with water a bit and see if it will work like that?

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    You say "fully automatic?" does it has a built in float ? if it does i don't think it would work intil the water level triggered it? fill your hull with water a bit and see if it will work like that?
    Yes fully automatic built in float have not tried water test with filling hull but if it only has 9.5v to it I figured thats why it won't work... I did test it right to the battery a few weeks ago and pump did run... Still got to check draw on battery and check all connections again

Iv got a 98 Xp LTD with same problem. Mine i broke the steering cable lock in back of boat and took on a lot of water and thought the pump was broke. My pump is full automatic too. but i think i found a big float in the back of mine by the jet pump big hose. Not sure what came stock on this ski. If its Automatic why would there be a float? From what i can tell is that the pump needs to be under water for 2 1/2 min. I read that from there Rule site. I think the seadoo needs to be on and running for 2 1/2 min. with pump under water. With out seadoo running, i think the with the key just pluged in times out in less then two min. there for will not turn on. This pump is a 98 so not sure if it works the same. Just bought the seadoo. Not sure of the history. Im getting 11.5 volts to my wire to pump. I just start to play with mine today. Im going to test this out Monday. If fully automatic does it need this float? Quote from there site.
    (Rule Pumps 12 Volt DC Automatic Bilge Pumps 500 GPH - 2000 GPH feature computerized operation on the principle of impeller resistance. Float switches are not required. The pump will turn on every 2-1/2 minutes to sense for water. If water is present, the pump will sense resistance
    and continue to run until all the water is removed. Thereafter, it will check for water every 2-1/2 minutes.Power use in the checking mode is minimal)

I checked out all the wiring and have no resistance on any of my wires going from mpem connector to bilge pump connector, no resistance from any of wires coming from rear elec box connector to mpem connector. I did notice that I have high resistance between pin 3-15 to pin 3-26. Pin 3-26 is the power wire coming from rear elec box. But I have no resistance between pin 3-17 and pin 3-24. Pin 3-17 is my ground from rear elec box. . I may test out another mpem
    Also have 12.3 volts going to mpem from rear elec box

+1
    You don't need to fill the hull with water to test the bilge. You can just tip it upside down, dip it into a bucket of water or like he did, connect it right to the battery. My 99 gsxl bilge turns on every 15-20 seconds or so for 3 seconds then shuts off AND when the float activates with water in the hull.

+1
    I sent you a PM answering your question. Contact me when you get a chance so we can work something out

I'll call you later on I've had a hectic weekend

the rule pump doesnt have a float switch in it. it spins every 2.5 mins for a few seconds to test resistance if theres water in the hull there will be resistance and it will keep pumping until it measures no resuistance.

rule have had A Lot of problems with these pumps not working properly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information