Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty?

I just bought a 2012 VXR and got a preferred maintenance plan (which is 3 years or 6 services) and they also added a three year extended warranty. So really two years because it comes with one year. Is it the $1,000 worth it or should I cancel it and save some money?

I will not be doing any oil changes or services myself so I figure I'll keep the maintenance plan but not sure about the extended warranty. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Chances are you wont need to use the warranty ....but if you do ....like the motor lets loose later down the line its like $3000-$4000 for an engine ....I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the ski and how many hours a year you use it.....

+1
    If it was an supercharged ski, I'd say definitely get it. In that case, there would be a strong chance you would need it.

But with the history of reliability in Yamaha skis and the VXR being a non-supercharged ski... I don't know that you'll need $1000 of warranty work done within the first three years of owning the ski. I just bought two VXS skis and didn't get it with mine. Usually engine work is what is expensive when there are problems. And the way I see it, these engines are like 1.8L 4 cylinder Toyota car engines basically.

My thought is that they are likely to run a loooong time before any problems occur with these engines. Aside from the engine, the VXR/VXS platform doesn't have many bells and whistles that could fail and cost a lot of money to fix, it seems. But if it gives you peace of mind and you can afford it, do it and then you don't have to worry about it.

+1
    No, it doesn't cover anything worth the cost of the warranty

+1
    Is that the Y.E.S extended warranty or something they offer from the dealership? Those dealership warranties are sketchy sometimes. I do all oil change/recommended maintenance myself and document it, so I would definately do away with the maintenance part. I also got a 4 year Y.E.S warranty (5 total) through Yamaha for less than $600. Well worth $150 per year for peace of mind...

+1
    It is offered from a company called western service contract corp. I don't think it's from the dealership. I think I am going to cancel it. I never buy an extended warranty on anything else I ever buy and it seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Chances are you wont need to use the warranty ....but if you do ....like the motor lets loose later down the line its like $3000-$4000 for an engine ....I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the ski and how many hours a year you use it.....
    This is the ONLY Ski currently on the market (any brand / any model) that I would even consider having without the WARR. I have the WARR on mine, but I just have a 6th sense that the VXR/S is good for many many many hours. I am convinced we will soon see some Owners with 300+ hours with only Oil / Spark Plug changes. JB

+1
    I just reread your post....the YES extended warranty should be 4 yrs in addition to the Factory Warranty...........5 yrs total......

+1
    This must not be it then. This is a 3 year warranty total. Kinda stupid now that I'm thinking about it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by potthoffw View Post
    This must not be it then. This is a 3 year warranty total. Kinda stupid now that I'm thinking about it.
    If thats the case Id cancel it and get the YES 4 yr Warranty......keep the ski 4 yrs and sell with a year Warranty left, Warranty should help you recoup about $500 of the cost of warranty in the end......even more IF you have to use it....peace of mind means a lot.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information