Cool 1994 Polaris sl 650

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums and from looking at all the helpful people on here I figured I'd make myself an account. I purchased a sl 650 from my fathers friend and I have taken the whole thing apart because I want to make sure everything is ok and looks correct. Before disassembly I hooked up a brand new battery to it and it immediately fried the black wire that goes from the cdi box to the stator. I'm not sure if I should replace the whole stator or just the wire harness. I also need a new piston. I hope you guys will be able to help me out! Thanks.

Just wanted to add that my dad hooked up a battery charger to it before we got the battery and it turned over

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. If the elec stator ohms out good, you can replace just the fried wires.

New pistons can be had at many places. Lots of cheap ones on Ebay for the 650.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! This link http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ contains the answer to every question in the known universe about your ski. (well almost). The stator ground likely fried as a result of the electrical box shorting out on the positive terminal of the battery.... There should be some sort of non conducting protection between the two...

You can try simply replacing the wire, but will need to ohm test the stator to make sure it wasn't damaged internally....

Ok thank you very much for such a quick response! Where can I get and ohm tester? Auto store? And also is there any more recommended replacements/upgrades for this ski? I have already replaced the fuel pump to the triple. Thanks.

+1
    Just follow the link I provided. Any good quality multi meter will serve you well for ohm testing...

Oh well I have the wires cut because I figured since it's fried I might as well make it easier for myself so how do I do the test

Well made some progress today on the ski. Got the flywheel off stator off and fully rebuilt cleaned and double checked 1 carb. Need to head to hardware store to het screws that i striped on the other carbs... Moving along slowly but surely! By the time i finish will this thing im gunna have to winterize it! Lol

Thread Information