Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cylinder leak tester

can anyone tell me where i can buy the kit to do the cylinder leak test on my ski? the reed cage port looks like its kind of oblong shaped rather than round. i was wondering if i needed a special plug or something for that. any help will be appreciated.

+1
    what kind of ski?

it is a 00 yamaha gp1200r 155hp 2 stroke engine.

+1
    If you are talking about 2 stroke pressure test kit, I've seen people mention kits for sale around here for that ski. You should be able to find them if you search around a bit. Otherwise make your own like everyone else does.

+1
    Lowell makes one,it's a must

+1
    I use a mighty vac vacuum pump I got at the autoparts store and I used the raquet ball trick to seal the ports with success.I would suggest buying a pump cause I have tried makin my own setup using pressure,but vacuum seems to work better and I have had gauges and ball valves that had tiny leaks that throw off the test results

when i do the test do i have to block off all the intake ports and plug the other two pulse lines on the intake manifold? can i leave the main exhaust pipe intact and use a pipe plug to seal off the exhaust pipe? are the water jackets separate from the exhaust chamber on the exhaust pipe assembly?

+1
    Ya you can leave the exhaust on it.all you really wanna plug up is the pulse lines,the intake and the exhaust.the water jackets don't have anything to do with this.one time I used 5 layers of packing tape on the reed plate and when I applied it I made sure it was super clean and the tape went on with no creased or wrinkles and bolted the carbs down to help seal it,and it worked real good.FYI duct tape and gorilla tape leaked air through it but the clear plastic tape worked good

i found a good device to use as a pressure tester, it is a tire inflater and it comes with a hose with a 1/4 inch male nipple so you can put different fittings on it. i also bought some extra fittings so i could connect it to the pulse line side of the intake manifold, worked really well and i found at my local tool retailer, harbor freight tools. it also comes equipped with a trigger valve and a pressure gauge built in. when i did the test the engine would not hold the 10 lbs. of pressure but it would hold 5lbs. of pressure for 6 mins. i sprayed the gaskets i could get to with a soapy water solution[the motor is still in the boat] and i found that the spark plug on #1 cylinder is leaking. i put teflon tape around the threads but still could not get to seal all the way. i took the head to a local shop to have it checked out when i did the top-end rebuild and they said it was ok.i know that the cylinder is not running lean but i wan't to know is if i can run the ski without the threat of harming the engine or should i look for another head? can i put a helicoil in it even though it is made out of aluminum? i am kind of upset that the shop didn't tell me about this. any help will be appreciated.

+1
    Did you torque the spark plug with torque wrench? You need to compress the washer properly to get it to seal. Maybe the washer is worn out and you need a new spark plug. You do need to fix this though, because people have had lean seizures from loose spark plugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information