How to remove SL 780 Cylinder without pulling engine

Has anyone sucessfully pulled the exhaust manifold and cylinders without pulling engine. I can't even get the expansion pipe out. No clearance between engine and top of fiberglass opening under seat.

In addition, I can't get a wrench or socket on the middle exhaust manifold bolts.

Is there some trick I don't know about or has everyone pulled the engine to swap cylinders & pistions?

Swartz Creek Michigan
    I just did a 95 sl yes it is doable. The expansion pipes mounts need to be loosened or removed.
    After pipe is loose then remove manifold from hull....then pipe.

3. #3 much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    Georgia - Lake Lanier - near 6TH
    Yeah I had to pry on the fiberglass to get one of the bolts out. I trimmed about 5 threads off to make reinstallation easier.

Once the exhaust pipe is loose you slide it forward to get at the rest of the exh bolts.

Ludlow, KY
    Like Blackwoodz said.. I also have just finished removing and installing a SL 750 #2 Cylinder and piston without pulling the engine. I used a 1/4 ratchet and socket set for the exhaust manifold bolts. I removed the water intake, cylinder head and air intake housing which all are easy to do. Then was right there for the 4 nuts on the cylinder mount to the block. I used a little gasket sealer in my socket when installing and removing the nuts not to drop them back down into the engine. It was a lot simpler than I thought.. It took me about 2 hrs to do.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll try again with a little more effort!

Random Lake WI
    The 780 is different than the 750, much harder because the exhaust is higher & sits farther out from the engine, but can be done, you have to remove all the manifold bolts to get the pipe out, you need a variety of socket extensions 3/8" & 1/4" sizes & the ratcheting box wrenches are a help with this project. I did it last year on an slx 780, don't want to ever do it again!

Doesn't sound so good now, but will try. If there are any other hints, I'll sure take them.

Thread Information