+1

Water in display

Water condensing on the cover of my instrument display. Does the clear cover/ring pop off or does one have to remove the cluster from the back of the hood ?

I assume its from a bad/cracked seal around the housing eh ? It does get a little wet on occasion

+1
    There's no way to remove the lens, you could try removing the rear plugs in putting in a bucket of rice.

rxp steve
    +1
    I just replaced two clusters on my 07 RXP,RXT. I had the same problem as you, condensation on the screen. The problem is that when you remove the cluster and stand it upright it has a good amount of water inside it (6 to 8 tablespoons in mine). The cluster is sitting leaned back so the water gathers at the back bottom. On the first cluster I tried the rice trick without any success. The fitting on the back is a one way fitting, but when I laid it down flat the water would hardly flow out and then it still had condensation on the lens.(3 days flat and in rice and sun) The second cluster I drilled a hole in the lens by the bezel tab and blew low pressure into the lens which pushed the water out the one way fitting and dried it. "But" something happened when I did because the cluster looked like someone poured blue ink on the face of it. It still worked but you could hardly see to read it.
    So I gave up and replaced them. ($440 cluster, $55 to hook to Bud's (each) but you may be able to find a used one.

+1
    Holy moley !!! $875 for instrument cluster ! I think not.

When one removes the cluster and cover, does the gauge itself have a clear cover ,sealing its parts ?

I wonder if I drilled a hole or two to attempt to let the water vapor out I might find a rubber plug of some sort to reseal the holes ?

rxp steve
    +1
    Piney, That's what they cost and then you still have to put it on Bud's

Yes, there is a clear cover that seals the cluster (lens). The cluster and cover are one piece (sealed). Be very careful when removing the bezel or you will break your tabs.

I tried that on the first cluster and after a few days of sitting in the sun and rice it still had condensation on the lens. Maybe if you let it sit longer it may clear. I gave up because I wanted to ride. the ski will run with the cluster unplugged, but it will not run if its shorted out.

Thread Information