Thread: 97 xp upgrades

+1

Question 97 xp upgrades

I recently purchased a 97 Xp and had planned to add a few upgrades to it.
    I'm looking for any suggestions from past experiences with this ski as to what to do or not do, and common issues with this model.
    Right now it's stock.

Donno about upgrades, but as far as common issues. First off fuel lines, make sure you don't have the grey ones. The fuel sender fuse blows, there are plenty of how to's on how to fix that. There is the issues of the VTS system. I've never had it happen. There is a zener diode inside the computer that wears out and lets current pass either way. You'll need a new ecu if you continuously blow fuses. Starters go out. Ground cable is crap. As far as the engine itself, it is very reliable. The ski is reliable as a whole, it's just a little on the slow side.

+1
    Thanks Dsgamermike. I have gone through the ski somewhat and found a few snags. Spring in the muffler pressure valve was smashed into pieces. One rave valve had the threads ripped out of the plastic half of the diaphragm (the valve would never open). Seat bellows was split open. Choke cable was busted, and the carbs had all the settings off, even the needle lever was bent. I still have to fix the fuel gauge and speedometer. Both are not working. I think it may be the sending unit for the fuel and the sensor for the speed.
    But the ski is a blast to ride, not real fast straight line (about 50 - 60 mph) but it carves the water like crazy. A real fun ski.
    I have noticed that the springs in my rave valves are different colors. One is green, and the other is silver. Not sure if the tensions are different or not.

Thread Information