96 SLX 780 RPM stuck at 3550???

Hello, thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hey guys, new member here. I really hate to start with a question but I have been unable to find anything in the search that sounds exactly right.

My ski has developed a new problem where it bogs down at 3550 rpm. The ski just can't rev above that limit. Based on the perfect 3550 everytime I assume this has something to do with the CDI but all mention of rev limiters I have found put them in the 4k range. A few times the fuel sender shows the low fuel light when there is fuel in the tank so I figured that was the problem. But the warning light and message never stay on the screen for an extended period of time, usually just a few seconds then the gauge goes back to correct position. I can understand the limiter hitting when the gauge is showing low but the ski never comes out of the limp mode. Even with a battery pull and no new flash the ski stops at 3550 dead on every time. I don't see how it could be the temp gauge as the hot signal has never flashed once and it is there as soon as started.

We tried pulling the float assembly and the float still... floats. We put the resistor on the lines, the MFD showed full tank but was still in the limp mode stuck at 3550. The oil looks full so I am kinda running out of options. I see where people suggest pulling the gray wire, is this inside of the CDI? The only external cord coming into CDI that is remotely gray or tan is the line coming from the tank that has a gray sleeve.

If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them. About to put the resistor back on then pull the CDI off the battery and see if we can get it to "forget" the error.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    Welcome to the Hulk! When you refer to the CDI, keep in mind this is an electrical component within the black electrical box mounted on top of the battery. You will need to take the box off the battery, open it up, and you will then see the gray wire. If you disconnect the gray wire and the issue goes away, you may have a bad LR module (also located within the black electrical box).

Either way, this link contains a wealth of knowledge for you....

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    Welcome to the Hulk.

If you only have 3550 RPM, it's not on the rev limiter. That comes in at 4200 RPM.

Check your compression.

Thread Information