+1

Does this sound like a water leak ?

98 GTX Limited

Full engine rebuild including carbs and fuel lines four years ago and it has run flawless since then.

Went riding last night and it was really boggy in the mid range but ran great top end spinning 6950 to 7000 rpms with good throttle response. After checking a few things when I got home this is what I found:

- Both plugs look the same with a nice chocolate brown color, I trimmed the wires and reinstalled the caps.
    - Pulled the carbs for cleaning and both screens had a tiny amount of sediment in them, removed the jets etc and blew all the passages with compressed air.
    - Rave valves were oily but not excessive they were cleaned last year, cleaned and reinstalled.
    - No broken reeds.
    - Exhaust bolts all there and tight, diaper still on the manifold and cylinder head bolts tight, no obvious external leaks.

What was interesting after pulling the RAVE valves one was nice and pitch black and I could see black on the piston crown down to about 1/2" from the outside edge. The other cylinder the RAVE valve was kind of oily dark gray and the piston crown was clean with no visible wash on it. I would have posted pics but it's hard to get a good shot down the RAVE slot.

Does this sound like a water leak into the cylinder and if so where are these prone to leaking ? Cylinder head, base gasket or exhaust manifold ?

<<<< Does this sound like a water leak into the cylinder and if so where are these prone to leaking ? Cylinder head, base gasket or exhaust manifold ? >>>>

Yes does seem like water.. And would test in this order > exhaust pipe to manifold - exhaust manifold to cylinder - Cylinder head gskt - base gasket

+1
    Well I tore it down tonight and the base gasket on the side of the leaky cylinder was almost completely gone. Strange as i used a Bombardier oem gasket kit when I did the rebuild.

Make sure you get the right gasket for the motor.. There is a white motor and a silver motor - the one differance between the two is the base gasket design..

+1
    Nice, sounds like you caught it before any serious damage occured. I would give it a light hone and scuff the ring edges up with 320 wet sandpaper before reassembly.

what is the difference in the base gaskets between the two engines ?

the shape because the engine cases have a differant design - the white motor has one hump in the center and the silver motor has two humps off center - is the best way to describe it.. Use the wrong style and it will leak..

The white motor was a first off and was used only on the early 98 GSXL's - if you ordered a TopEnd Kit or Gskt Kit - You will need to order the proper base gasket..

Name:  42-108-03t.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  29.8 KB Name:  42-109-03t.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  30.7 KB

+1
    I had some base gaskets left over from the original oem gasket kit so I used one of those, I'll check which one when I get home as I have one more left. There were some light scuff marks on the piston that I cleaned up with some 600 grit, the cylinder walls had some marks that were barely visible.

This machine has run really good for the last four years then I find this problem 2 days before a two week holiday. I got the rest of the gaskets and got it re assembled before we left and it's been running great since we got here. If I decide to keep it I might do a proper top end rebuild on it over the winter.

+1
    The gasket I have left has the two humps so it was the correct base gasket for a silver motor.

On the original rebuild about four years ago I did use a light coating of ThreeBond on the base gasket, could this have softened the gasket over time ? For the recent reassembly all gaskets were installed dry.

+1
    Be sure to pay attention to the motor when at idle. You pushed water down the piston skirt. It can collapse skirt and cause motor to rattle. Simple fix if you catch it in time. If not piston failure results in a major rebuild.

Thread Information