Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Need advice on buying my first jet ski! (97 Yamaha Waveventure)

Hello,

New to the forums but not new to using forums, I am as noob as they come with Jet Ski's besides knowing how to ride one (I've only ever rented them). Me and my girlfriend have found a new crave for renting jetski's at the marina near us in Canyon Lake, TX. She told me that she wants to start coming once a month and renting one out, so I told her well if where going to do that why not just look for an older used one in good condition? So last night we got back from the lake and I popped onto craigslist and immediatley found a 1998 Yamaha WaveVenture 760 dual carb. I contacted the gentleman for the info on the jetski and was very impressed with what I heard, I also went and looked at it last night and was very impressed with what I saw. He is selling this for his aunt, they bought it new back in 98 and didn't use it much. The only thing I found amiss was he says its a 98 but the closest I can find to the model of the wave runner is actually a 97.

So the jet ski was just out of the shop for a tune up, new plugs, lines, carbs cleaned etc. She started up with one bump of the start button (hooked up to the water hose) and the motor sounds very strong! He has a clean title in hand, it will come with a cover and the original magnum trailer (needs to be registered, they only used it for loading and unloading cause they lived at the lake) and the PWC has 105.5 hours on it. I has been garage kept and he said it averaged about 7 hours a year since it was bought new. Has tags to 2014 and comes with all original paperwork, manual, service reciepts etc. Basically it was a very well maintained jet ski.

I am heading out to his place today around 10 this morning to do a test drive and will decide from there if I want to fork over the cash. His aunt is firm at $2400

To me this sounds like a great deal, although I have seen some newer model 2 strokes and even a few 4 strokes for just a few grand more. Most of them have more hours on them and they do not look near as good as this one does.

There are a few things that bother me:
    how easy/hard will it be to get parts for it?
    Where these jetski's known for problems or were they a good year?
    What kind of maintenance is required to keep the carbs tuned good together and running well? I owned a dual carb dirtbike once and it always needed to be tuned. If the carbs were not in sync it ran like crap.

I have searched quite a bit for info on these jet skis and have not found much.

Any advice or information would be great!

Thanks guys

MODS: I double posted this, not sure if it should go in the old school sub forum or the 2-stroke sub forum.

+1
    Thats a nice looking Venture. they are reliable, pain free ski's. Not much to worry about. Keep reading and you'll pick up on the normal maintenance stuff

+1
    Thanks, does the price seem a little steep? KBB prices it at $1650 and the trailer I couldn't find a price on. I wish they would negotiate the price a bit but I tried and he said she is firm at $2400.

I have notice since I have been shopping around that most all jet skis are price over BB value.

price seems fair to, esp if its been serviced this year and ready to ride, test run it first, if runs well its a great starter ski and reliable, also easy to repair.

+1
    Well I just got back home from the test ride, sucker runs freaking awesome! Starts right up, no hesitation what so ever. Got all the paper work, handed the guy his cash and drove off!

I feel though that the idle might be a little high on it, should the jetski move forward at an idle or just kinda sit there? When I started it she immediately started moving forward.

Thanks,
    Robert

+1
    no neutral. It'll just take off as soon as you start the engine.

yes it should move as soon as you start it.

GORGEOUS oldie ya got there. That motor is Yamaha's most reliable to date IMO.

You will get countless years of dependable service if you keep it maintained.

nice ski. price seems a bit high....for me at least considering i only paid 900 for my gp760/trailer. but it will serve you well....until you get the bug for more speed :0)

+1
    I'm going to have to start reading up a bunch on here because as of right now the top speed on this suites me well. The lakes we have around here are pretty rough lakes, when I took this out and test drove it at WOT this thing throws you around like crazy. If it ever gets to it though and more speed is needed I'll just drop the bigger motor in it or do some upgrades.

Is there any where to get a service manual for these that show actual pictures of where and what things are? The owners manual has got some crappy illustrations in it, I'm thinking something similar to a Chilton manual.

Well yesterday I did a butt ton of running around trying to get everything ready to take this thing out on the lake today! Changed title in my name, registered trailer in my name, went to Tractor Supply to get new tires for the trailer and they had 6 ply wheel/tire combo for $5 more than a brand new tire so I slapped new tires and wheels on it! Put the best old tire/wheel as the spare. Replaced trailer wiring and taillights cause they were pretty funky. Tightened down all the bolts, greased the wheel bearings on the trailer, bought some yamalube and topped off the oil tank, bodyglove life jackets, spare safety key and a tow rope for pulling tubes. Should be launching the jet ski today around 11am and plan on staying on the lake all day!

Here are some pictures of her after she was officially mine and all the work was done:

This is one thing I had to fix, the previous owner had broke the lid off one day docking it to load. Fixed it with JB weld, I didn't like it so I snapped it back off and fixed it my way. Went to home depot and got some M6x1.0x30 screws and took the mounting hardware off. Drilled holes through the lid and ran the longer bolts through the hardware, washer and nut on top with some blue loc-tite.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Nice.

Eyeball the oil injector lines very, very carefully. Read up on them here. Many an older Yamaha (yep, including mine) have eaten cylinders because of dropped oil lines.

If you have plastic zip-ties holding the oil lines on, consider upgrading. They WILL eventually loosen up and fall off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information